Speedict Ebike - Anybody seen/tried this?

speedict said:
megacycle said:
I modified your fig1, as it was confusing me a little as the packs appear in parallel looking.
Scuse the phone drawing, hope its understandable.

View attachment 2
If it is this way it could be either rail of course.

theoretically yes ! and i did the simulation for the circuit, see attachment !
just only one minor consideration, 2 battery packs potential may be different :)

see our proposed circuit for high current and voltage applications !

Attachments

• Speedict EV.png
    Speedict EV.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 2,337
8) That latest mod gets rid of both the 80V+ prob & the inrush. :mrgreen:
Your the man Danny :D

Edit Oh and now it can be fitted anywhere on the bike with tiny wiring.
Feel another :mrgreen: coming on.

The 80V+ club need to know about this too, they may have been looking elsewhere for a higher voltage solution.
I must say your product is a real innovation and you guys are unbelievably flexible in your approach to client needs, Thanks Danny.

megacycle said:
8) That latest mod gets rid of both the 80V+ prob & the inrush. :mrgreen:
Your the man Danny :D

Edit Oh and now it can be fitted anywhere on the bike with tiny wiring.
Feel another :mrgreen: coming on.

The 80V+ club need to know about this too, they may have been looking elsewhere for a higher voltage solution.
I must say your product is a real innovation and you guys are unbelievably flexible in your approach to client needs, Thanks Danny.

or use external power for speedict to reduce power lost and heat, let keep discuss HV application next week :D

Attachments

• EV Ext-Power.png
    EV Ext-Power.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 2,299
Having no connection between main battery and the 3s lipo would mean the system completely stops working when it is empty :lol: I would use a 3s 18650 battery holder with integrated BMS and a 240V Laptop psu, they are small and have decent power for lights etc.

Attachments

• speedict.png
    speedict.png
    25 KB · Views: 2,298
  • 3s_18650.png
    3s_18650.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 2,297
Talking about not wasting power, one similar to this, yummy tiny non contact, non wasty, current sense, MCS_SD2537.jpeg
or even one that's zip ties on side of cable, instead of breaking into the cable for the sense,
personally would be on my wishlist.

Normally a low voltage build like a motorbike or scooter might expect to have a dc- dc converter on board for12V supplies auxiliaries, i was thinking a hobby style Jst type connector on speedict, so it could be plugged into a standard hobby style lipo and have jst adapters for a small balance charger to top it up.
All data acquisition could be via plug in sensors.
Could simply unplug speedict if you need to do something to it and carry it with its lipo velcro'd to its back.

I'd like to have up to 10 additional analog inputs for motor temp, motor rpm, motor coolant temp, motor phase current, selected gear. They should have customizable display. More outputs would also be good. Maybe you could sell a low budget simple version and a more sophisticated high end version.

speedict said:
Hyena said:
speedict said:
then you connect it to speedict and we measure it say 42v, on android client interface you mark this point as FULL CHARGE point, and set say 37V as max discharge point, and speedict divide by 100% or 1000, on android screen you have 2 display one is the actual voltage speedict measured e.g. 42V and other is show 100% ... you can discharge until 1 or even 0%. each battery pack will have one QR barcode to store all its information such as percentage range or say profile, and when changing battery pack android client can just scan and replace with this battery pack ...
A large battery gauge / bar graph would be good but using voltage alone is highly inaccurate as it will vary all over the place with voltage sag according to chemistry and battery age / IR.
A much better and really the only accurate way to do it would be to simply display amp hour as a percentage of a pre-entered amount.
Eg if it's a 10ah battery then fully charged (at what ever voltage) reads 100% and 1% at 9.9ah or what ever the user wants to enter. This would be good for users wanting to allow a safe or conservative discharge. Eg enter 100% capacity as 9ah, or have a feature where it flashes red when 90% is reached. If you wanted to add extra selectable features this could also then limit the bike to say 30% throttle allowing you to limp home when the battery is almost out.

got it, i will take note on it ... thanks

I can't stress how important this functionality is for a simple retail end product, there is a market out there that want's the phone to engage as a dashboard for their bike, that is it nice clear EV dash with no other stuff.

Be cool if we had a skin maker for dash board, could really go a tron theme with multi circles

You could sell that for end product double or the price to the avg ebike user

megacycle said:
Talking about not wasting power, one similar to this, yummy tiny non contact, non wasty, current sense, View attachment 1
or even one that's zip ties on side of cable, instead of breaking into the cable for the sense,
personally would be on my wishlist.

we ordered this IC from digikey last week, hall-effect based, no lost, linear but the downside is what you mentioned "breaking cable", but definitely accurate than ring-hole type ... will test it next week when arrived :D

crossbreak said:

I'd like to have up to 10 additional analog inputs for motor temp, motor rpm, motor coolant temp, motor phase current, selected gear. They should have customizable display. More outputs would also be good. Maybe you could sell a low budget simple version and a more sophisticated high end version.

this is one of our proposed application that include more sensor capabilities and use just 1 speedict port (running serial data) and that can leave 2 other ports for Throttle in and Throttle out ...

Attachments

• Satellite Board.png
    Satellite Board.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 849
Even the hall effects tend to have insertion losses due to their tiny footprint.
But @ 100μohms, 1W @ 100A/100V, really good, if its a more accurate device, integrated into your controller.

Daisy chaining multiple sensors to a little network hub, add on adhoc.
so higher voltage controller speedic could be like the normal speedict, with a 12V supply.
One speedict fits all 8).

For am existing controller just additional external hall module

Like this, excuse phone again :?

More accurate if its uart kinda like this.
2012-11-17 07.08.39.png

megacycle said:
More accurate if its uart kinda like this.

I can see the problem of can hub, it step down from 200 to 12 use voltage divider has power lost, 200 to 12v switching is complicated, use power transistor will generate damn heat because speedict draw >300mA current, so up to this moment we have no solid solution, just brainstorm and wait for components arrive.

Oh might have got confused in the drawing

The 12V, however derived separate battery or dc-dc, supplies speedict and the uart hub or whatever it is, as their current needs are still small.
The voltage port does not draw current, just measures the 24V to say 200V pack value.

Oh speedict would need possibly 2 voltage readouts, pack value & 12V source.

speedict said:
I can see the problem of can hub, it step down from 200 to 12 use voltage divider has power lost, 200 to 12v switching is complicated, use power transistor will generate damn heat because speedict draw >300mA current, so up to this moment we have no solid solution, just brainstorm and wait for components arrive.

The version with the extra 3s lipo would solve this I thought. It just separates voltage sensor and speedict power supply.

A simple 4-pin CAN interface would be also nice for sensing voltage, current etc. This way the speedict could be a on board measurement embedded device. The custom functions like coolant control, automatic shift etc. could be separated to a daughter board, which can be flashed by the speedict over CAN, by using a commen standard like CCP.

For the simple stuff we want this would be perfect, since more sophisticated solutions from automotive industry i recently worked with is both bulky and expensive (and ssometimes even hard to get at all).

megacycle said:
Oh might have got confused in the drawing

The 12V, however derived separate battery or dc-dc, supplies speedict and the uart hub or whatever it is, as their current needs are still small.
The voltage port does not draw current, just measures the 24V to say 200V pack value.

Oh speedict would need possibly 2 voltage readouts, pack value & 12V source.

then we don't need the serial can hub because existing ebike or new ebike don't take CAN signal or even UART :D we can only use inhouse protocol because the hardware did not connected to UART bus, we use interrupt to simulate it.

crossbreak said:
The version with the extra 3s lipo would solve this I thought. It just separates voltage sensor and speedict power supply.

A simple 4-pin CAN interface would be also nice for sensing voltage, current etc. This way the speedict could be a on board measurement embedded device. The custom functions like coolant control, automatic shift etc. could be separated to a daughter board, which can be flashed by the speedict over CAN, by using a commen standard like CCP.

For the simple stuff we want this would be perfect, since more sophisticated solutions from automotive industry i recently worked with is both bulky and expensive (and ssometimes even hard to get at all).

forget about CAN on speedict as current speedict design not capable to, use data link to communicate between daughter board and speedict and 3s power speedict is look possible.

speedict said:
then we don't need the serial can hub because existing ebike or new ebike don't take CAN signal or even UART :D we can only use inhouse protocol because the hardware did not connected to UART bus, we use interrupt to simulate it.

Yeh, that's why the whatever, just network examples really.
Becomes easier with your controller :D, looking forward to that.
Just thinking of the people wanting to interface their own controller, still need that seperate higher voltage solution and inrush fix.

Expect don't really need a network on a bike only several ports digital/analogue I/O's.

We where experimenting a bit with an ebike last week (no speedict!). It was a bike with PAS and we wanted to use the throttle input only for the 6kmh start. We used a potmeter and set it to 6kmh and then added a pushbutton to activate it. It was useless... Power was too low to get the bike quickly to 6kmh.

My point is: A 6kmh start option should give (almost) full throttle for a short time (1 second?), till 6kmh is reached and then back off to maintain the 6kmh.
Just a free tip if you want to make a good 6kmh option. :D :wink:

N!co said:
We where experimenting a bit with an ebike last week (no speedict!). It was a bike with PAS and we wanted to use the throttle input only for the 6kmh start. We used a potmeter and set it to 6kmh and then added a pushbutton to activate it. It was useless... Power was too low to get the bike quickly to 6kmh.

My point is: A 6kmh start option should give (almost) full throttle for a short time (1 second?), till 6kmh is reached and then back off to maintain the 6kmh.
Just a free tip if you want to make a good 6kmh option. :D :wink:

if simply send full throttle signal out, it may over shot because when speed sensor can pick up speed signal and calculate speed it will too late, so it need few setting parameters to work with, therefore we implemented on new version, for existing version we need some alternative way to achieve it .... so need some time after version 2 launched, sorry for the delay !

Some overshoot is not a big problem, I think when user can set the time 0 ~2 sec and the power level 0 ~ 100 % it is posible.
If the overshoot is to big just tune the time or powerlevel down. The bikes that need the 6km option are mostly not the powerfull bikes.
My bike only 600W i think with less power the overshoot is not to big.

But your solution wil be better i think.

I still like this little thing it saves my battery 2 times, and the alarm when unplug the battery is nice becouse then i dont forget my phone.
The phone is on my handele bar. It wil be stolen when i forget the phone.

Erikjan said:
Some overshoot is not a big problem, I think when user can set the time 0 ~2 sec and the power level 0 ~ 100 % it is posible.
If the overshoot is to big just tune the time or powerlevel down. The bikes that need the 6km option are mostly not the powerfull bikes.
My bike only 600W i think with less power the overshoot is not to big.

But your solution wil be better i think.

I still like this little thing it saves my battery 2 times, and the alarm when unplug the battery is nice becouse then i dont forget my phone.
The phone is on my handele bar. It wil be stolen when i forget the phone.

will do, however as per existing speedict ebike programming space, for these parameters setup we need to remove 2 function mode, such as "Simply Cut" and "PAS to Throttle" and i think removed these function won't affect road legal 1 or 2 users :D

cwah said:
Will the new speedict work with the Samsung S3? I haven't been using it since a while as the actual one isn't compatible.

i heard about the bluetooth issue will be resolved by update to 4.1.1 on some samsung forum, i don't really have time to digest it, could you please google "samsung s3 bluetooth problem 4.1.1" for more ?

Back