Adaptto Mini-E/Max-E Owner's Thread

I have not followed all the threads closely , but I am wanting to get the latest, greatest, biggest controller adaptto is selling so have been waiting patiently for them to be available.

The maxe seemed like a pretty hot product so I have a hard time imaging why they quit producing it. Only idea that comes to mind would be failure rates being high so repair costs ?

Also strange the communication seems to be non existent regarding it at least for the minimal reading I have done.

ohzee said:
I have not followed all the threads closely , but I am wanting to get the latest, greatest, biggest controller adaptto is selling so have been waiting patiently for them to be available.

The maxe seemed like a pretty hot product so I have a hard time imaging why they quit producing it. Only idea that comes to mind would be failure rates being high so repair costs ?

Also strange the communication seems to be non existent regarding it at least for the minimal reading I have done.

what other choice do you have in mind? for small and light weight controller
everything is all in 161 pages, just need to read them few times

I hope they make a new version the max-e which can handle more phase amps. I know someone modified their max-e to be better able to take more phase amps, so hopefully they offer something like this.

I don't believe the failure rates are that high with the Max-e. They put lots of limits on the controller, like phase amp limits, so they don't break as easily.

The issues I had with my Max-e were from my own wire shorts, like the temp gauge shorting into the phase wires, or the halls wires shorting to phase wires.

I think adaptto really needs to have an easily replaceable fuse when the halls wire shorts, I shorted this fuse 3 times already and had to replace it. If they could make it easy for the user to replace it, it would stop a lot of warranty returns on the controller for Halls error.

+1 of making the fuse repairing easier, its so tiny to dis and re solder if you are not an expert.

I also hope that adaptto can have a dealer in US. I bet US is second biggest market after Europe, why there is no US dealer here to deal with sales and warranty? it will be much easier if US dealer can collect all the warranty repairs every 2 weeks or once a month send together back to factory. Same way back.
The problem is adaptto will not sell any parts to user for repair purpose, that makes logistic important

Offroader said:
Tjeska said:
I "hear" from some people that the max-e production has stopped?

Did they already announced when the replacement controller will be available?

Yeah I heard this also, maybe they are building the new model right now.

Yes, hope this is the case, is a great product, but there are some point's that need to be sorted to make it the best!

At least they could tell when the new ones will be available...

damn, iam so pissed atm....

wtf i have in "normal" mode something like a speed limit ....first at 35kph..then at 45kph

99% of time i ride in boost mode. i tested normal mode before, and it worked as expected.
5KW, 80kph speed limit...

today it stoped accelerating at 35kph on the road. i tested some different settings in power profiles.
nothing worked.

we were on a bike tour so i gave a frock about and rode in boost.

now iam at home. trying to figure out wtf is going on.

every speed limit i setup in normal mode does not affect above 45kph no load.

speed limit 30 = works
33 works
37 works
45 works

47 ist stops by 45kph no load.

IF i setup speed limit to 60....AND twist gently the throttle. the speed limit stops at 45kph, IF i twist it more, after 1cm of twisting in "dead band" it accelerate to setted speed limit (60)

this is weird and i cant explain.
i will try now a disconnected battery.....after that.....mhh...should be a controlelr reset a good idea?
lot of work bring in all settings again----

Another small problem here, which i am hoping to get a bit of help with.

I just need to open the display unit which i aint done before. I am getting 'protect' coming up due to a short from the usb dongle. The dongle has rattled about so much that the cable has snapped at the entrance hole of display unit. So i want to check and maybe remove the inner four wires from the usb and make sure they are not shorting each other out.

Is there anything to watch out for when delicately unscrewing the four screws and opening the display? I am quite heavy handed and do not want to damage anything in the process.

Thanks

@Merlin, i have heard of similar problem to yours occurring from the NYX bike makers, maybe try messaging them, the guy is called Cedrick. I do not know what the answer is, but firstly keep trying differing speed limits as you are doing,
and make sure you photograph each screen on your display before you do a reset :wink:

stryjk said:
Does somebody know the correct speed ratio for QS 205 V3 motor from Vector with Shinko 241 3.0-18?

Measure the overall diameter of your tyre while it is on your bike in mm's and multiply that by 3.14 which will give you the circumference. Then divide this number by the number of pole Pairs on the qs205, i am not sure how many poles it has....
This will give you the speed ratio.

For example my tyre is 580mm dia x 3.14 = 1821.2 \ 23 pole pairs (cromotor) = 79.1

brumbrum, just 4 screws at the back to open the display, pretty straight forward. just need a bit longer small screw driver for the bottom 2 screws, since it needs to pass though the mounting holes to reach the screws straight. I almost stripped the screws by doing it at an angle.

the qs 205 has 32 poles (16 pairs)

BCTECH said:
brumbrum, just 4 screws at the back to open the display, pretty straight forward. just need a bit longer small screw driver for the bottom 2 screws, since it needs to pass though the mounting holes to reach the screws straight. I almost stripped the screws by doing it at an angle.

the qs 205 has 32 poles (16 pairs)

Cheers buddy.

Altair said:
2 screws are longer, so don't mix them up.

Ok. Does anything try and fall out or is there anything loose that comes apart when opening the two covers?

I think i will be just snipping off the four wires for the usb dongle and then plugging up the cable entrance hole ro stop water getting in.

Haaah, it was a piece of piss :lol: the eternal worrier. Mind you theres not much of a convincing seal between the front an back of the display :( Condom cover needed in the rain.

Just wondering if any Adaptto owners have had experience charging at around the 12V mark. I am looking to set up a solar charing system with some old but usable Headway batteries.I am looking to configure into 4s to suit my solar system giving a fully charged voltage of around 14.4V. I have read the the Adaptto will charge at 12V+, but wondering what the cut off voltage is when it will not longer charge. Is it under 12V it will stop charging or does it need +12V to start charging?

Also importantly if I were to hook my Headways directly up to the Adaptto for charging (with a fuse), is there a charging current limit on the Adaptto ? I hope so there will be 100Ah of Headways at 10C !!! :p Will not be trying this method if there is not a safe way of controlling charge current going into my Lipo's !

Looking to get a new E-Max when they finally come out - hoping for bluetooth connectivity and an App but probably are dreaming !!

There is a charging a max. You can set it up in the charging setup. I have set mine up up to 16A as my old LiPo Pack was a bit tricky for example. But you better wait for someone else to answer as I am not sure about it 100%. 

Hey members
I have been enjoying the max e for some 10 month on both my vector frame and q76r frame. A few day ago, I decided to chance from my Magura throttle to the domino with micro switch.
When I dismantled the old setup, I broke the thumb throttle I use for regen. Therefore, I decided to connect the dominos micro switch and disable the regen until I receive my new thumb throttle.
The problem is that I do not get a throttle signal until the last 2 mm of the throttle travel then it jumps from 0v til 4.8v. I cannot use the throttle as it is, I also tried to swap back to the magura but I get the same problem as with the domino. I have tied to bend the legs on the male part of the plug and I have check the soldering points in the screen. In frustration, I have cut the display plug and soldered the cable and throttle directly together. However, I still have the same problem.
So far, I have more than 2700Km with this awesome controller without any problem. :D
I hope you can help me
Here is my setup
Adaptto Max-E
20s 12p Samsung inr-18650 25R
Qs 205 v3 4T
Best regards

askiller said:
The problem is that I do not get a throttle signal until the last 2 mm of the throttle travel then it jumps from 0v til 4.8v. I cannot use the throttle as it is, I also tried to swap back to the magura but I get the same problem as with the domino. I have tied to bend the legs on the male part of the plug and I have check the soldering points in the screen. In frustration, I have cut the display plug and soldered the cable and throttle directly together. However, I still have the same problem.
So far, I have more than 2700Km with this awesome controller without any problem. :D
I hope you can help me

I had exactly the same problem.
It seems like there must be at least a small constant current flow on the 5V supply line for throttle and e-brake.
A hall based throttle takes about 20mA, while a 5k Magura or Domino only drain 1mA which is obviously to less current.
That would explain why the resistor mod often resolves the problem.

suggestion: do the resistor mod or add again a hall based e-brake and it should work again :wink:

On one controller this problem occurred right after flashing the fw to a newer one, so i guess it could be software related.
I also noticed that adaptto did change the behaviour if both, e-brake and throttle are applied at the same time.
At slight e-brake usage, the controller still respons to the gas. It needs almost maximum e-brake input to make the throttle fully disabled.
On earlier FW this was not the case IIRC.
Also the setting: "throttle off (or on?) on ebrake: yes/no" in the traction menu seems to not have any effect anymore in those newer firmware.

my regen stopped working get no "brake" notification on adappto screen....here is wiring done by HPC does the black wire need to be connected somewhere?...cannot be certain by looking at adappto schematic...the two wires at top go to a quick disconnect which in turn goes to brake handle

Attachments

• brake wiring.jpg
    brake wiring.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 2,282
Anyone had issues with 'Protect' intermittently showing when powering up the controller? I thought mine was being caused by a short from a snapped usb dongle on the display but i have since removed this wiring and still now and again Protect comes up on start. If i turn off and on again it usually sorts it :roll:

Looking for a power supply to charge a pack through the Adaptto controller. Is there any advantage to using one power supply over another? Example: Power supply #1. 48 volts at 10.42 amps = 500 watts or Power supply #2. 60 volts at 8.33 amps = 500 watts. Just wondering which one would charge the pack faster, if either. Charging a 20S10P pack.

brumbrum said:
Anyone had issues with 'Protect' intermittently showing when powering up the controller? I thought mine was being caused by a short from a snapped usb dongle on the display but i have since removed this wiring and still now and again Protect comes up on start. If i turn off and on again it usually sorts it :roll:

that was what happened to me with a mini-e a few times, before it finally decided to blow a trace on the power board.

i have received my controller back from repair, but now it has some really weird issues. the main screen is not there, and instead displays a charge status screen, saying the controller is charging at 900 watts, but its not even plugged in to a charger or coil!(???)

maybe i need to flash a firmware, perhaps the screen is still at an old firmware version,as i only sent the controller, and perhaps they updated the controller firmware.

i still have not contacted them to ask..,

ridethelightning said:
brumbrum said:

that was what happened to me with a mini-e a few times, before it finally decided to blow a trace on the power board.

i have received my controller back from repair, but now it has some really weird issues. the main screen is not there, and instead displays a charge status screen, saying the controller is charging at 900 watts, but its not even plugged in to a charger or coil!(???)

maybe i need to flash a firmware, perhaps the screen is still at an old firmware version,as i only sent the controller, and perhaps they updated the controller firmware.

i still have not contacted them to ask..,

Well firstly, thanks for puttting my mind at rest.. Lol :lol:

I definitely think you should ask them what firmware is now on the controller as the screen will not work if it does not match.

mudflap5 said:
Looking for a power supply to charge a pack through the Adaptto controller. Is there any advantage to using one power supply over another? Example: Power supply #1. 48 volts at 10.42 amps = 500 watts or Power supply #2. 60 volts at 8.33 amps = 500 watts. Just wondering which one would charge the pack faster, if either. Charging a 20S10P pack.

Time line would probably be about the same but the higher volt of power supply #2 would run most efficiently. I use a 25 volt 67 amp power supply set to a maximum of 30 amps through the MaxE and my 10 gauge wires get pretty hot. Not melting hot but hotter than anything else does on the bike even while driving like I stole it.

Tom

Back