Anderson PowerPole question

and the 75a connectors are fully round - no joins at ALL! :S:S:S

I found a crimper for them - for the bargain price of $570 AUD :p - bargin.....

but seriously thats insane!

I think the difference between the 30 amp and the 45 amp ones is the material they are made out of. I've cut up the 45 amp ones and they seem to be a sort of copper below the skin while the 30s are aluminum or something similar.

The 15-, 30-, and 45-amp connectors are named mainly for the current capacity of the largest size of wire they can handle. The 30-amps accept up to 12-gauge wire, which is rated at 30 amps, etc. You can of course put 40 amps through it with no real consequence.

Per the official website's detailed datasheets, the contact resistances are:

15-amp: 875 micro-ohms
30-amp: 600 micro-ohms
45-amp: 525 micro-ohms
75-amp: 200 micro-ohms

I recommend the larger size (75-amp) for discharge for obvious reasons.

I soldered my 75 amp connectors with a 60w $12.99 soldering iron from Radio Shack. Used flux on 8 gauge wire to tin it. More flux in the connector,heat it up while in a pair of vise grips and fill will solder, then while hot insert the tinned wire and it worked fine. Just let the iron heat up for a few minutes before doing the next one.

I soldered my 75 amp connectors with a 60w $12.99 soldering iron from Radio Shack. Used flux on 8 gauge wire to tin it. More flux in the connector,heat it up while in a pair of vise grips and fill will solder, then while hot insert the tinned wire and it worked fine. Just let the iron heat up for a few minutes before doing the next one.

I'm trying to fit my wires with andersons powerpoles. I've got 45 amp powerpoles and 10 gauge wire.

How do you guys get past the wire with your insertion tool? I can't see anything in the small space and I just can't get were I want with the insertion tool... it's getting on my nerves :twisted:

Maybe you guys can give me some tips.

It's a son of a gun isn't it. I use an eyglass screwdriver to push with, a mark with a sharpie on the wire insulation may help you keep it lined up right.

Something to keep in mind is that if you use wire that is so big it actually touches the housing instead of letting the contact float around loose as designed, it may never mate flat with the other connector when you plug it in. That can result in high resistance connections, especially if they get wet and oxidize or corrode, and you may end up with melted connections.

For more in-depth discussion on this and some pics including cutaways of melted connectors that *may* exhibit this, see GCinDC's main thread.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=292002#p292002
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=282498#p282498
lots more discussion in there somewhere, i gotta run and see what the dogs are up to. :(

hi could i use anderson power pole 30 amp connectores to connect my batt to controller ? anyone know how to make these up please regards rob

HI,

I just salvaged a number of 120a anderson connectors from an old UPS unit.

They have a useful amount of heavy gague wire on them already, and I was wondering if they were likely to be useful in an e-bike application?

I know they are extreme overkill for my current 36v bafang setup, but at what point would these connectors be useful?

I use the 50/60A versions of the Multipole connectors (probably the ones you have there are Multipole) on CrazyBike2 (in my avatar), some of them harvested from UPSs. :) They're used on the battery and motor side of the controller; I actually just used the existing wire harnesses already crimped in the connectors, and bolted them together and sealed the connections with heatshrink on the ones I could, electrical tape on the others. I'd've lap soldered them instead (actually interwoven-soldered) but I wanted to be able to easily change how the power system was set up, so I just bolted them.

I was using them on DayGlo Avenger and The Velcro Eclipse, too, but at the moment only TVE still has them, as I had too many connections I needed to make disconnectable and still inter-mateable on DGA during a recent rewire, and not nearly enough salvaged Multipoles to do it with (plus the size was an issue with limited space inside the enclosed area I now have). I'd rather be using this type on everything, if I had enough of them that would inter-mate. (they are keyed connectors, so only the same color will plug into each other, except for the gray and black, which are interchangeable).

As for when they're useful, well, that depends on what you have on there now. If your phase wires are thick but your connectors are small, and not rated for the current going thru them, then you could use the andersons on the phases, which tend to have higher currents than the battery side of the controller. If they are 2-contact Multipoles, then you'll need four connectors (two for motor and two for controller) and one contact will go unused so you can just leave it out of the housing if you like.

You can use them for battery connections, too, although at this time you probably don't need something rated that high. They are a very secure connection, unlikely to ever accidentally come unplugged, and can easily handle the spark of connection and are self-cleaning contacts during disconnect/connect cycles.

My Ebikekit.com kit came with Anderson Powerpole connectors. They're connected to 14ga wire. How can I tell if they're 30 or 45 amp contacts?

Jethro56 said:
My Ebikekit.com kit came with Anderson Powerpole connectors. They're connected to 14ga wire. How can I tell if they're 30 or 45 amp contacts?

The "Contact" part of the 15/30/45 amp PowerPoles is the same, the part that changes is the wire connection tube. The connectors inter-mate fine.

If I remember correctly the 30 amp pins are rated for 12-14 gauge wire. I don't think 14 gauge wire fits into the 15 amp pins.

The 45 amp pins are not tubular in the wire grip end. They are wrapped around the wire by the crimping tool.

The 15 and 30 amp pins have a tube that the wire goes into, the crimper crushes this tube in such a way as to keep it small enough so it fits into the connector shell. Using the wrong crimper results in a contact that won't fit into the plastic body.

Alan B said:
Jethro56 said:

The "Contact" part of the 15/30/45 amp PowerPoles is the same, the part that changes is the wire connection tube. The connectors inter-mate fine.

If I remember correctly the 30 amp pins are rated for 12-14 gauge wire. I don't think 14 gauge wire fits into the 15 amp pins.

The 45 amp pins are not tubular in the wire grip end. They are wrapped around the wire by the crimping tool.

The 15 and 30 amp pins have a tube that the wire goes into, the crimper crushes this tube in such a way as to keep it small enough so it fits into the connector shell. Using the wrong crimper results in a contact that won't fit into the plastic body.

So If I'm following you a 15 and 30 amp connector looks like a standard crimp barrell and a 45 is like a huge version of the crimp portion of a DB series pin connector.

Thanks AlanB. I have that saved to favorites now. Is it safe to assume that Turnigy 6s 5000mAh packs have 5.5mm connectors?

I don't think you can assume anything with regard to the connectors on the Lipo packs. They are not generally specified.

I received two packs today 6S 5000 mAH and they had the same 4mm shrouded polarized connectors that I have received in the past. I am glad of that, the 5.5mm are larger and I already have a number of packs with 4mm, so I hope they stay with those.

I think there may have been a temporary shortage of the 4mm connectors, but that seems to be over.

Unfortunately this may mean you need to get your batteries before ordering the wiring connectors.

Nice video.

I don't use the roll pins, and don't advise doing so. They generally fall out, and sometimes they fall out and short something out and make a big mess.

Instead, to lock the connectors together for convenience or polarization I use a drop of krazy glue (cyanoacrylate). Just a small drop does the job.

i have a question for the experts here.i have anderson powerpole 30amp connectors on my e-bike kit 500 watt rear ddhub motor.when i hit a small bump or road imperfection i lose power and have to stop and reconnect or push them together as they seem to not be solidly connected.anyone else have this problem and what was your solution.would appreciate all feedback.thanks

Check to be sure the little lip on the end of the wire connector is pushed all the way in and goes over the spring in the plastic part. Sometimes you need to use a magnifying glass or flashlight shining in there to be sure. If it is not all the way in then it doesn't click and will lose contact.

Back