New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

adam B said:
So Then what is the ultimate 52v Battery with open source software for my 52v 750w tsdz2?
I am currently running 52v 14ah samsung 30q (I will soon put this on my bafang ultra g510)and want to get the ultimate for my tsdz2.

Depends on whether being on a diet weight wise or time in the saddle. There's no point in carrying extra battery weight and bulk if you aren't going to use it. We ride about 2 - 2 1/2 hours typically of single track off road with about 900m of climb in that time period ( we tend to want to stop off at a watering hole after a couple of hours ) . We have yet to deplete fully our 48V 6.4ah 2P Samsung 30Q home built batteries on 500W TDSZ2's.

Now we tend to put in a bit of effort ourselves so that must help some, but we don't want to carry any extra weight as we have to lift the bike over gates and styles at times, we don't need anymore than the 6.4ah packs as we don't run the batteries out, why go to a bigger pack ?

As you already have a good battery pack with the 30q's then its gotta be a basic work backwards to achieve the best results that suit you. Simply put a watt meter in line for a couple of rides and work out exactly what juice you are using. Add about 30% and pick the nearest pack of that size. My bet is you won't want any bigger than 9.0ah unless you are doing a lot of road miles.

Whilst upgrading to 52V I messed up and installed an 8-pin controller into my motor while only having a couple of 6-pin displays to go with it. Anybody know where to get an adapter cable to bridge?

My google-fu failed me and since I already feel stupid I thought it would be more productive to ask here than to just flounder and scream as per usual. Eternaly grateful for any mercy-tips.

So that's the noise after 150km assist level 4 on a small hill :

https://youtu.be/qsiHfjyiVaE

Sounds like a scooter, horrible....

Would this be sufficient to send it back under warranty or at least get the metal gear instead of blue nylon? (Retailer is pswpower)

I can't open it as it will void warranty. Motor still works fine but I have to say I'm disappointed with the sound it makes after few kms.

el_proletario said:

Would this be sufficient to send it back under warranty or at least get the metal gear instead of blue nylon? (Retailer is pswpower)

I can't open it as it will void warranty. Motor still works fine but I have to say I'm disappointed with the sound it makes after few kms.
It could be a lubrication problem...Have you checked it? You can add grease to the gears...this does not invalidate the garantee.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950 mediante Tapatalk

That sounds like a gear that's rubbing against a plastic housing...
Stop riding it to prevent it making a hole.
Something must have slightly displaced, check just behind the chainwheel if the plastic housing isn't pressed against the bike frame.
This occurs when the motor is slightly offset or not well tightened.

el_proletario said:

bjorsa said:
Whilst upgrading to 52V I messed up and installed an 8-pin controller into my motor while only having a couple of 6-pin displays to go with it. Anybody know where to get an adapter cable to bridge?

My google-fu failed me and since I already feel stupid I thought it would be more productive to ask here than to just flounder and scream as per usual. Eternaly grateful for any mercy-tips.

The pinout of both the 6 pin and 8 pin cables can be found here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Wire-KT-LCD3-to-TSDZ2

Ignore everything to do with the KT-LCD3 unless you get interested in the TSDZ2 FOS firmware project. (Highly recommended) :)

Rydon said:
The pinout of both the 6 pin and 8 pin cables can be found here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Wire-KT-LCD3-to-TSDZ2

Ignore everything to do with the KT-LCD3 unless you get interested in the TSDZ2 FOS firmware project. (Highly recommended) :)
Thanks! I suck at solder work and was hoping for an off the shelf solution, but at least I can DIY things now. Appreciate it!

A quick note on the open firmware: I hear it´s good, but I run 36V motors on 48 or 52 batteries which really helps with cadence. The motor is more peppy too. So for me it´s not worth the hassle as of yet to fiddle with the KT lcd and weird cables and all. But again, thanks for the tip!

bjorsa said:

You can find them here (although sold out right now)

https://www.eco-ebike.com/collectio...s/8-to-6-pin-splitter-with-throttle-for-tsdz2

I have noticed that during colder days (seems to start at -18 celsius) the display (vlcd5) is showing jibberish, but the engine works fine. Anyone else noticed this?

The display shows 1 battery bar and random errors (e02, e01, e08), sometimes changing errors back and forth, however you can still set the assistance level and the motor abides.

(stockfirmware 36v)

edit; the problem for me with these errors are that the speed isn't shown, nor is trip/odo updated)

I am a litle lost in somany pages...

Can i get a 36v motor and plug directly a 48v battery?

If no, what should i do to ?

Thanks in advance

bjorsa said:

Another approach is to put your 6-pin controller back in and flash stock 52V firmware. Eco-ebikes has a good tutorial and video and copies of stock 52V firmware.

Antenor said:
I am a litle lost in somany pages...

Can i get a 36v motor and plug directly a 48v battery?

If no, what should i do to ?

Thanks in advance
If you buy a 36V TSDZ2 and plug in a 48V battery it won't work because the controller settings are wrong.

If you flash stock 48V firmware on the 36V system it will work. The controller hardware is the same, only the settings are different. You get assist to a higher pedal cadence because of the 36V motor winding. Some people do this on purpose because they want higher cadence.

Eco-ebikes sells this as an option, they call it overdrive. Then you don't have to flash the firmware.

Thank you for the explaniont

Do i need some sort of special cable to flash the firmware?

I saw the open source software, but it looks more complicated that i can handle

Hi everyone ,

Do you think the TSDZ2 will fit on this frame bike ?

BSA , 73mm wider

Thanks

HTB1vtHxXPzuK1Rjy0Fpq6yEpFXa4.jpg

HTB1u6nAXPnuK1RkSmFPq6AuzFXax.jpg

HTB1h0bAXIrrK1RjSspaq6AREXXaM.jpg

Hi,
I'm afraid not.
The bottom bracket must be a protruding can to allow the chain side to rest on.
With such frame the metal housing will clash before the BB gets in contact --> very dangerous structurally.

You may need spacers to clear the clash but this increases the chain line offset.

Not definitely the best frame for the motor..

Thanks for the advice !
It's so hard to find a compatible carbon frame ...
I have the impression only frame bike in aluminiun older than 5 years fits ok with the tongsheng

And do you know an another motor with torque sensor ok with this one?

Does someone have a tsdz2 to sell? although it's spoiled! I just need the casing!
I am from Spain!...
Thanks

Is there a twist grip throttle mode for xh18 display. Now that I have injured leg throttle would be handy whenever the leg gets too tired or when it's too weak to begin with.

imfrommexico said:
Thanks for the advice !
It's so hard to find a compatible carbon frame ...
I have the impression only frame bike in aluminiun older than 5 years fits ok with the tongsheng

And do you know an another motor with torque sensor ok with this one?
You must think in a aluminiun frame, It is heavier and more resistant to use with a electric motor. You will increase the bike weight in 4 kg (motor) and 3 kg (battery)...

Enviado desde mi SM-G950 mediante Tapatalk

Yes , i already mount this motor on a aluminium bike frame ...

But i have a new project , mount a eletrical bike with torque sensor motor on carbon frame
I prefer carbon frame because for me the feeling is better , it's more lighter , more beautiful and give more power and reactivity
And it's also easy to find good recent carbon frame for low cost.

imfrommexico said:

But i have a new project , mount a eletrical bike with torque sensor motor on carbon frame
I prefer carbon frame because for me the feeling is better , it's more lighter , more beautiful and give more power and reactivity

It is a rare carbon frame that will take a mid-drive conversion motor. Especially if you need a bb adapter first. The bb shell is just too thick. Bafang motors have 12mm clearance between the bb spindle tube and the motor. I am not sure exactly what the TSDZ2 is but I think it is a little less. I have seen a few carbon frames with a threaded bottom bracket that do work, but they are the exception.

Antenor said:
Thank you for the explaniont

Do i need some sort of special cable to flash the firmware?

I saw the open source software, but it looks more complicated that i can handle

See
https://www.eco-ebike.com/blogs/eco-cycles-instructionals/tsdz2programmingfromscratch

Shows how to make the cable and connect. And it has firmware files

And the 2nd video
https://www.eco-ebike.com/pages/videos

Tells you how to flash the hex file.

It is easier than doing the open source firmware.

imfrommexico said:

High quality steel frames work. I built mine on a Trek Reynolds 531 touring frame. Taste varies but I think the old lugged frames look and ride great, nicer than most aluminum frames. As for weight ebikes weigh more, but it matters less because the motor is stronger than the rider. How important is a three pound weight difference between a top-rate steel frame and a carbon frame?

From the standpoint of Tongsheng enginneers they had pretty clear design criteria for a marketable system:
1. Wide frame compatibility
2. Reasonable chainline (50mm or less) with a gear drive and torque sensor fitted in

The decision to fit to 68mm and 73mm bottom brackets is fine, those are the most common by far.

The engineers dished the back of the drive side housing to reduce chainline. If they hadn't done that it might fit some carbon frames, but the chainline would be worse for a larger number of installations.

I'm glad they compromised as they did they did. On a typical frame 50mm chainline is about as much as is acceptable before there are significant issues on the inside rear cogs.

Question for my fellow TSDZ2 owners... The main motor power wires that come out of the housing seem very small gauge to me, like maybe 16 ga, for 750 max watts and the corresponding amps. I am running 12 ga wire from the battery but not sure of the value in that considering the downstream 16 ga. Are all these motors supplied this way?

Rydon said:
It is a rare carbon frame that will take a mid-drive conversion motor. Especially if you need a bb adapter first. The bb shell is just too thick. Bafang motors have 12mm clearance between the bb spindle tube and the motor. I am not sure exactly what the TSDZ2 is but I think it is a little less. I have seen a few carbon frames with a threaded bottom bracket that do work, but they are the exception.

You right , the first problem is to find a bb shell not too thick,

Back