New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Lucas Red N Tacky #2 (readily available at a hardware store, cheap)
or
Mobil 28 (harder to find, I'd order from the internet, more expensive, slightly better)

I had this fat bike and a 52v TSDZ2 ( from eyeb) and a battery when member anttipaa had a 100mm converter kit in the for sale section, I picked it up and now have it installed,

Attachments

• IMG_4144.jpg
    IMG_4144.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 11,660
  • IMG_4149.jpg
    IMG_4149.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 11,660
  • IMG_4131.jpg
    IMG_4131.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 11,660
  • IMG_4140.jpg
    IMG_4140.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 11,660
qwerkus said:
Guys, which grease do you use on the TSDZ2 ?

Here's the expensive stuff from Tongsheng repair manual:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1KG-MOLYKOTE-EM-50L-GREASE-Plastic-metal-gear-lubricating-oil-11/183117144892?hash=item2aa2a1e33c:g:BAcAAOSw5TpaohcW

but I think I'll use something cheaper :lol:

eyebyesickle said:
Lucas Red N Tacky #2 (readily available at a hardware store, cheap)
or
Mobil 28 (harder to find, I'd order from the internet, more expensive, slightly better)

Hmm, perhaps if I need to do it again with the newer motors I should order one of those...

irrelevant said:
qwerkus said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1KG-MOLYKOTE-EM-50L-GREASE-Plastic-metal-gear-lubricating-oil-11/183117144892?hash=item2aa2a1e33c:g:BAcAAOSw5TpaohcW

No wonder they are so stingy with it at the factory level. Specifically for nylon gears, luckily I have the bronze and the Lucas works for cheap.

Marin said:
I had this fat bike and a 52v TSDZ2 ( from eyeb) and a battery when member anttipaa had a 100mm converter kit in the for sale section, I picked it up and now have it installed,

You sure about hitting this tiny motor with 750W ? My overall impression is that it's fine till 500W, but than it's underbuilt.

I think this sensor that is screwed on the motor controller but is in visual line with the crank, is a PAS sensor. I verified it has signal 2 wires output (digital signal) that reacts when I pass a magnet in front of them and seems is a kind of quadrature signal and this way should be possible to detect if pedals are rotating forwards or backwards.

Question: I didn't saw any magnets on my crank, can you guys say if the crank has magnets??

" I didn't see any magnets on my crank, can you guys say if the crank has magnets........ "

No magnets on my crank and I am using different cranks from the Bafung.

I was also surprised that it doesn't seem to need the magnetic speed sensor on the rear wheel. I removed mine with no ill effects other than the speedometer not working. Yet somehow it knows not to ramp up power until after a half pedal revolution so it somehow knows when the cranks are turning. It may be just working based on time after it senses torque on the pedals and the same with stopping the power

I wish I could shorten up the period of over run after you stop pedaling. Im expecting propulsion to stop when I do and it carries power too long into corners while trail riding.

irrelevant said:
qwerkus said:

For that price it better be a 5 gallon pail!

Look for engine build moly grease at an auto parts store it's basically the same thing.

Lithium grease with moly.

Guys, this is how the torque sensor of your motor works and you can see how fast it reacts:

[youtube]1xiMbCerRKw[/youtube]

NOTE: This video is dedicated to stancecoke/hochsitzcola for his hard work on documenting the ebike torque sensors and helping on our OpenSource firmware for Ebike motor controllers.
---

On this video, our firmware running on TSDZ2 motor controller, reads the torque sensor ADC value and send by UART to the PC and were it is shown in the graph.

This was the very first time I was able to understand how the original firmware controls the hardware to read the torque sensor.

qwerkus said:
Marin said:

You sure about hitting this tiny motor with 750W ? My overall impression is that it's fine till 500W, but than it's underbuilt.

So far its fine and I’m not too hard on stuff, remember this motor is for pedaling with not like a hub motor or bafang mid drive.

I am nearly finished with my first build using this motor. Just waiting for some connectors to be delivered.

I have a question:
Can someone please help me find a decent set of crank arms that mostly corrects the q factor for installation in a 68mm bottom bracket? If I need to provide more information, please let me know. From some quick measurements the right side is about 25mm further from center than left left side. Ideally I should bring the right side in a large amount and the left side in a smaller amount while evening things out.

I used a set of Bafang cranks that were in hand as they were straight as compared to the stock cranks. The non drive was a little too close to the cs so I had to grind it a bit. Still not perfect but close enough. That and fitting Bafang accessory 42t chain ring to improve the low gear chainline also.

The drive side crank could come in more if the crank spindle sq. taper was inboard some more. I have been thinking of taking it off and getting it machined.

casainho said:
Guys, this is how the torque sensor of your motor works and you can see how fast it reacts:

[youtube]1xiMbCerRKw[/youtube]

NOTE: This video is dedicated to stancecoke/hochsitzcola for his hard work on documenting the ebike torque sensors and helping on our OpenSource firmware for Ebike motor controllers.
---

On this video, our firmware running on TSDZ2 motor controller, reads the torque sensor ADC value and send by UART to the PC and were it is shown in the graph.

This was the very first time I was able to understand how the original firmware controls the hardware to read the torque sensor.
Dude, that's truly awesome!!!

I also run a Bafang crank arm on the right side to help balance the offsets. It looks slightly different but not noticable. They are almost completely straight with no offset. Anything less offset and your heel would hit the crank arm.

hobbyvac said:
I also run a Bafang crank arm on the right side to help balance the offsets. It looks slightly different but not noticable. They are almost completely straight with no offset. Anything less offset and your heel would hit the crank arm.

What about the Shimano step e6000 cranks? Are they staggered offsets?

It seems the lekkie buzz bars are staggered offsets, but cost a lot.

m3lonbr3ad said:
index.php

I tried the Steps cranks once as they came in 175mm, they are curved a bit less than the Tongsheng (-8mm), the Bafang is -16mm.
I prefer TS crank left side and Bafang crank on the right, so the crankarms are evenly centered, as the drive unit itself has some offset to the right.
A single Bafang right crank is only ~$12 from china seller.

Guys, this is your motor running with our OpenSource firmware (at max of 3866 RPM with the 36V from lab power supply)! I was using a throttle on that test.
So, since the other last video, seems that what is missing right now is "connecting" the torque sensor signal to the motor "throttle" signal, right?? Not yet, first I need to be able to read motor current and limit it to the max recommended value to this controller or the mosfets will burn :)

What I did learn that may be important for you:
- the controller can run with a battery pack from 7S (24V) up to 14S (52V)
- seems that all controller versions have the same hardware but for instance, brakes and throttle wires are missing. Don't know about the original firmware but our firmware should support all options (so, every controller version will work with or without brakes and throttle)

[youtube]O9shbfQ9hHk[/youtube]

Very good job Casainho.

Just a question, the firmware is uploaded on the tsdz2 controller right ? It seemed to be a different controller on the bench

fixvid said:
Very good job Casainho.

Just a question, the firmware is uploaded on the tsdz2 controller right ? It seemed to be a different controller on the bench
Thanks.

It is the same controller, you can even see the metal part attached (the controller is not only an electronic board).

I found the limitation of measured current on this controller: 18 amps.
STM8 pin PB5/AIN5 measures the analog signal for the battery current and for each 1 amp, the signal increases 0.275 volts. The max current measured is: 5V / 0.275V = 18.18 amps. Assuming the signal can be linear and I did my measurements correct, maybe the measured current can't be more than 18 amps.

And yes, modding the shunt should change the relation 1A/0.275...

Anyway, this measured battery current on the shunt will let the firmware protect the controller as also control the motor torque, so we can play on the firmware like implementing a torque linear ramp to always control increasing rate of torque.

Speady said:
m3lonbr3ad said:
index.php

I tried the Steps cranks once as they came in 175mm, they are curved a bit less than the Tongsheng (-8mm), the Bafang is -16mm.
I prefer TS crank left side and Bafang crank on the right, so the crankarms are evenly centered, as the drive unit itself has some offset to the right.
A single Bafang right crank is only ~$12 from china seller.

Very helpful, thank you. I might also look into those Lekkie buzz bars if I can find a good good deal.

Nice,
Now I have to go check my BBS cranks against my TS, and see how it looks... Wouldn't it be nice for the TS to come with better arms... ugh

m3lonbr3ad said:
hobbyvac said:

It seems the lekkie buzz bars are staggered offsets, but cost a lot.

As you can see, the zero offset Bafang arm is as far as you can go. Any negative offset means you will hit your ankle on the spindle area. There is however a lot of room for improvement in quality and weight. On my installation the whole motor is offset so it needs different arms on each side to even get close to symmetrical.

Back