TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

casainho said:
andyme said:
casainho said:
andyme said:
I thought so. fair enough! :thumb: i really regret that i cannot be of more actice help. i just have no clue of all this...
If anyone want to help about DPC-18, should start to buy 1 unit to open it and take detailed pictures of internal, then I can see how different it is from 850C model. Maybe it is just equal but with more buttons?? or maybe is totally and will be hard to develop for.

The idea is to get this type of pictures and information I did for 850C: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/Color_LCD/wiki/Bafang-850C

no problem. consider it done. i am very good at buying things.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
And here my notes also for color LCD KT-LCD8H: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/Color_LCD/wiki/Kunteng-KT-LCD8H

i know the notes. as i told you i had ordered this display and i still have it, but i understand it is too different and you do not want to use it for several reasons a.o. lack of USB charger

I just now ordered the DPC 18, should be with me in a couple of days...if i had known yesterday: i was just a couple of miles away from them and could have picked it up in their store...anyways...i think it is cool that you are open to certain adaptations provided they do not mean to have to start all over again. we will see, i am curious myself...

Sorry that I messed the question by posting this different 5-Buttons Display.
I'm totally fine with 850c, I already ordered one at nort pole. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFgPicwIbf8)
But if I find out about the pin where to solder my fourth key, I don't drop the idea.

Eremit said:
I'm totally fine with 850c, I already ordered one at nort pole. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFgPicwIbf8)
But if I find out about the pin where to solder my fourth key, I don't drop the idea.

well you did not really mess it up.you gave an interesting input by pointing at the DPC 18..casainho is willing to look into this. so he is considering the display with the 5-key pad...so what ever you do is your business, but i think it is not extremely constructive to make suggestions and then go another way without waiting for an outcome...if i were you i would wait a few more days and see what comes out. your business...one thing you can be assured of: if casainho wants to adapt the DPC 18 because he thinks it has benefits he will do it...no matter that I already bought 2(!) pcs of 850C etc...and i would either resell my 850s on ebay or give them to him for testing or whatever.I want the best possible outcome for this project and i am willing to support it in every way that I can.. unfortunately my possibilities are limited..but i am not going to abandon something i want just because i already bought some parts for 100 dollars or so...we are talking of devices that cost a couple of thousand dollars anyway..so what the heck...

In the spirit of "keep it simple ... ", I think 3 buttons is perfect. I wrote this earlier:

"Regarding needing more buttons. I have used both and find 3 buttons is fine. You can do everything just as easily with 3 buttons using long and short presses of the 3. Long press on + button is headlight and night-mode. Long press on - button is walk-assist. Short press on power button is info-toggle."

More is not always better. Why do you need more buttons?

The DPC-18 is from a different manufacturer and will likely have a very different hardware and software architecture. From a Bafang point of view they functionally fill the same product position. I spoke to the manufacturers of both displays at Interbike this year and the reason Bafang introduced the DPC-18 on top of the DPC-14 (850C) is that they wanted a display that was proprietary to them and the 850C has broader distribution. It is another big advantage to not be locked into Bafang for distribution.

Rydon said:
In the spirit of "keep it simple ... ", I think 3 buttons is perfect. I wrote this earlier:

You can do everything just as easily with 3 buttons using long and short presses of the 3

it all depends what is "everything". if everything is 6 commands, yes..but there may be many interesting options that you may not be thinking of right now (neither me, by the way, because i have not thought it over yet). if the amount of buttons would go to the expense of handling, you would be right, but i don't think that this is the case. the + and - buttons are large and very easily accessible, and the 3 buttons in the center are also very distinct. i can only see benefits.

I have ordered the display, i hope to have it by the end of the week, i will then open it and post pics...and then casainho will possibly be able to judge the situation. let's take it from there.

On the first step, I bought 1 unit of 850C model. After seeing that maybe I could make it working and had the clock feature that the more cheaper KT-LCD8 has not, I had to buy 2 more units to get were I am.

Each unit did cost me about 150 euros, because of shipping + customs taxes, so, it was about 450 euros on 3 units to be were I am. I also had to buy specifically for this project, other resources. Adding to all that, it took me probably at least 1 month of work (some hours every day). That is why I prefer to advantace with project and not go back and repeat the LCD model research phase.

Maybe the hardware is very similar between both models. And more buttons would be good, as on KT-LDC3 with the same 3 buttons we are limited... We need quick change of some fields and it is not so easy as would be more buttons. Also I think 850C buttons are not good, I think they are hard to feel/distinguish, unlike on KT-LDC3.

What I do not understand is how DPC18 has 5 buttons and still has 5 pins on the connector.
On 850C it has 3 buttons and 4 pins/wires, because one is for GND.

If we see on 850C board, there is K3 pad that is unconnected so 850C could have a 5 wires/pin connector...

Bafang_850C_board-01.jpg

casainho said:
If we see on 850C board, there is K3 pad that is unconnected so 850C could have a 5 wires/pin connector...

suspense.. :D

here details of the DPC 18:

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/knowledge-base/motors-and-kits/bbshd/45575-dpc-18-display-documentation

My 36v battery is almost exhausted :) I have a new 48v battery, can I power my tsdz2 36v to 48v? I know someone has done it, are there any problems with the modified firmware? Do I have to change anything (beyond the voltage) in the options? Are there any problems with foc?

There are no issues using 48v battery using both firmwares, original or opensource. For original you'll have to change some bits using st-link, for opensource you can just choose tha correct voltage on the display. I am using 12S, however I think it should be fine with 13S as well.

andrea_104kg said:
My 36v battery is almost exhausted :) I have a new 48v battery, can I power my tsdz2 36v to 48v? I know someone has done it, are there any problems with the modified firmware? Do I have to change anything (beyond the voltage) in the options? Are there any problems with foc?

andrea_104kg said:

Not that I noticed. I have a 48V Batt on the 36V Motor formerly powered by 24 Volt. Works without Issues since a week and really is a beast ;) Propelled with 800 Watts is special :p
But you can limit that a bit in favour for driving range and heat building.
As I understood some talk until here, foc is derived from the number of cells and the type of the motor. I even have high cadence mode active, and it works fine with 48V.

Can't work out how to open the Bafang DPC 18 I have here to take some internal photos for you. There are no screws and the back is a one piece moulding. To be honest I think you are better sticking with the DPC 14 anyway, that's the one I use out of preference between the two on a BBSHD. The Luna version that Andyme has linked to has different firmware to the one that Bafang provides anyway.

Rafe said:
Can't work out how to open the Bafang DPC 18 I have here to take some internal photos for you. There are no screws and the back is a one piece moulding. To be honest I think you are better sticking with the DPC 14 anyway, that's the one I use out of preference between the two on a BBSHD. The Luna version that Andyme has linked to has different firmware to the one that Bafang provides anyway.

That's probably what explains the IP 65 thing...many things are glued nowadays...phones, notebooks.. :roll: I hope to get mine tomorrow or Friday latest.

andyme said:
Rafe said:
That's probably what explains the IP 65 thing...many things are glued nowadays...phones, notebooks.. :roll: I hope to get mine tomorrow or Friday latest.
On 850C, there is a thin plastic frame on top that is very easy to remove but must be undocked with an x-acto or small screwdrivers, only after removing that frame, there is a thick transparent plastic on top on the real LCD that protects it against damage/forces from the outside, and that thick plastic is glued but can be easily removed if doing it slow using a screwdrivers.

andyme said:
Eremit said:

well you did not really mess it up.you gave an interesting input by pointing at the DPC 18..casainho is willing to look into this. so he is considering the display with the 5-key pad...so what ever you do is your business, but i think it is not extremely constructive to make suggestions and then go another way without waiting for an outcome...if i were you i would wait a few more days and see what comes out. your business...one thing you can be assured of: if casainho wants to adapt the DPC 18 because he thinks it has benefits he will do it...

Well Casainho's response sounded like "I will not change anymore from 850c" and "3 keys are enough" - the first is something I'm fine with, the latter is undoubtly true. I just missed the changing from "no other than 850c" to "maybe". It was 'nt my intention to be unconstructive here. It was meant like, well, when I have it in hand at X-Mas, I'll try (to solder the LCD5-Pad and to write a digit shifting extension to the setup based on the fourth key). It was a duty to the silent majority out there hoping for four keys like me ;)

And I'm still thinking that the logic of the offroad limits need some light corrections. The Limit from Submenu 1 should be the limit applied with deaktivated offroad, and the limit you set in Menu 7 should be the limit in aktivated offroad mode. So the first should be set for instance to 25km/h and the second to 50, to get the same results. The same with the power limits.
That's more logical with the advantage, that some official controlling your bike does not see the 40 km/h Limit at first entry, but the more legal 25 km/h. Stumbling in the fisrt submenu is easy, finding the seventh is harder ;)
So the first one have a double role. It's the legal limit without enabled Offroad Mode and the absolute Limit with Offroad enabled and switched off. You see the role changing : When you decide to disabling offroad, you also have to change SpeedLimit under Menu 1. (Not a problem, only mentioned to make the point clear. I have to fortify my writings against misunderstandings these days ;)

andyme said:
Rafe said:
Andyme, the first pictures must be to microcontroller and also I would like to know how they know 5 different buttons state with only 5 wires. Try to look at the wires inside the LCD, see it they are really 5 wires only. With a multimeter and LCD power off, try to see if any of the wires are connected to GND.

Take photos of references, maybe the LCD has some reference on backside.

casainho said:
andyme said:
Rafe said:
Andyme, the first pictures must be to microcontroller and also I would like to know how they know 5 different buttons state with only 5 wires. Try to look at the wires inside the LCD, see it they are really 5 wires only. With a multimeter and LCD power off, try to see if any of the wires are connected to GND.

Take photos of references, maybe the LCD has some reference on backside.

ok, i will do whatever you want me to. the parcel is on it's way, it should be delivered either tomororrow or saturday. x-mas load is a bit heavy on the DHL shoulders....

I finally try to flash open source firmare but something went wrong with TSDZ2. I flashed KTLCD3 and everything was fine. Then I tried to flash motor and problems begun. First I made back up original firmaware and I succeeded.

I did according to the instructions and no luck. I try to read all tabs very many times and same error came all the time: error while reading address 0x8000. Problem is on program memory tab. Option byte and data memory tabs are okay but program memory is not working. Finally software read also program memory but it couldn’t program it.

I tried to search internet 0x8000 fault but no luck. Can somebody help me.

Here is output of software:

Hardware configuration set to <ST-LINK on USB with STM8S105x6 plugged in and SWIM protocol>.
Blank check before programming (when available) is OFF
Verify after programming is ON.
Clear memory before loading a file is ON.
Erase device memory before programming (when available) is OFF
Display a popup window when an error occurs is ON.
Log activity is OFF
> Reading OPTION BYTE area...
< OPTION BYTE reading completed -- [Device Checksum 28]
> Reading DATA MEMORY area...
< DATA MEMORY reading completed -- [Device Checksum F9]
> Reading PROGRAM MEMORY area...
Error : Error while reading address 0x8000
Error : < PROGRAM MEMORY reading failed

Reading PROGRAM MEMORY area...
< PROGRAM MEMORY reading completed -- [Device Checksum 1670D0]
> Loading file C:\Users\C\Downloads\TSDZ2-throttle-v0.16.0.hex in PROGRAM MEMORY area ...
< File successfully loaded. File Checksum 0x1AA360
> Programming PROGRAM MEMORY area...
Error : Programming failed
Error : < PROGRAM MEMORY programming failed.
Error : < Operation aborted.

Hello all,

Last week I installed the open source firmware and I am really pleased with the performance! Big thanks to the developers! (!!!)

I have had over ten TSDZ2 units with original firmware and in my tests the TSDZ2 with open source firmware is quieter with the metal gear than the orginal firmware with the plastic gear... wow! Not to mention more efficient!

First day of testing I noticed that I miss the trip function much like in the original firmware. In the current version of the open source firmware the "trip" function resets whenever you turn off the system.

And I also missed the ability to set the odometer to whatever value I like. Additionally, this may not be as relevant for many but, imperial units are not displayed.

So, I asked my son to take a look at this amazing firmware (great job guys!) and he was tasked to implement all the functions I would like to see:

- Adjustable odometer - You can set whatever value you desire
- Trip function - The value is saved in EEPROM and is resettable whenever user decides to do so (does not reset when power off)
- Previous distance function is still there and is great for measuring "distance since power on"
- Odometer and trip is independent of each other and resetting one does not affect the other
- The "MIL" symbol is activated on the display and is used in conjunction when displaying imperial distance
- Imperial units for odometer, trip, distance and max speed are now shown

It works! Planning to make a YouTube video soon and get the firmware (hex code, source code and changelog) available for you all! Maybe also update the GitHub page?

Anyone interested?

Video will be posted on my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9hyHBaudhKy7MfwVWuzolg

buba said:
Hello all,

Last week I installed the open source firmware and I am really pleased with the performance! Big thanks to the developers! (!!!)

I have had over ten TSDZ2 units with original firmware and in my tests the TSDZ2 with open source firmware is quieter with the metal gear than the orginal firmware with the plastic gear... wow! Not to mention more efficient!

First day of testing I noticed that I miss the trip function much like in the original firmware. In the current version of the open source firmware the "trip" function resets whenever you turn off the system.

And I also missed the ability to set the odometer to whatever value I like. Additionally, this may not be as relevant for many but, imperial units are not displayed.

So, I asked my son to take a look at this amazing firmware (great job guys!) and he was tasked to implement all the functions I would like to see:

- Trip function - The value is saved in EEPROM and is resettable whenever user decides to do so (does not reset when power off)
- Previous distance function is still there and is great for measuring "distance since power on"
- Odometer and trip is independent of each other and resetting one does not affect the other
- The "MIL" symbol is activated on the display and is used in conjunction when displaying imperial distance

It works! Planning to make a YouTube video soon and get the firmware (hex code, source code and changelog) available for you all! Maybe also update the GitHub page?

Anyone interested?

Wow..i think the group will hire your son!

dameri, could it be your flash cable is too long ?

buba, well done !!!.. How do you reset the trip meter, I think we had problems trying to come up with a button combination that hasnt been used yet.

jbalat said:
dameri, could it be your flash cable is too long ?

buba, well done !!!.. How do you reset the trip meter, I think we had problems trying to come up with a button combination that hasnt been used yet.

Thank you so much!!! (And thanks for all the videos!)

When you are choosing to display the trip distance in the odometer field you can simply SHORT CLICK and then LONG HOLD the DOWN button. The same way you reset the odometer and the "distance since power on" by the way. The menu is as follows:

1.0 TRIP DISTANCE
1.1 DISTANCE SINCE POWER ON
1.2 ODOMETER

All is displayed in either miles (MIL) or kilometers (KM) depending on the setting you choose in the basic setup (imperial/metric).

Should I add so that you can set the trip distance to any value also or should that be "locked"? Feedback appreciated!

buba said:
Hello all,

Anyone interested?

Good to know that someone can catch up with the code for these cosmetic changes!!
Brilliant. :thumb:

buba said:
Hello all,

Anyone interested?

i think it is really important that casainho get involved in this matter since endlesscadence seems not to be around. casainho is in the process of adapting the firmware to work with a color display and i think in order to stay compatible with the future development all changes should be integrated ideally into one piece of software only. So i would hope that you and casainho will agree on how to create files that satisfy his and your needs so that your changes can stay integrated in all future releases.

Back