Vector bike and frame owners.

I think it's the best solution to put the controller outside. I will try to keep it inside with heatsinks and maybe some fan.

Here is a short video about from my last ride: Watch in 1080p 60fps

[youtube]IoPrfYh5Wc4[/youtube]

here you can see my black frame that is around 1.5 year old and has over 10.000 km on it (mostly offroad 70%). The guy who ride the bike is my friend who lives in German Alps, he is around 185cm and 120kg with backpack.

Under the video on youtube you can see link to strava from this ride.

It sure is...

I'm a future owner of a Vector bike. I'll just lurk here for 2-3 months until I get enough money to buy all the parts from you.

I talked to Arthur that I would like to get the battery made from NCRGA cells and since he can't do it at the moment, I'm going to build my own.

I bought 300 cells, and since I don't have the frame yet, any of you guys can help me decide how to build it?

Will it fit in the frame if I split them side by side in 2 packs of 10X15? At the Vector site it shows 2 packs but now it seems there are 5 packs that make the entire battery.
That's all the info that I got from Arthur.

I'm still undecided if I'm going to hot glue them or put them in spacers, because I want to fit the MAX-E in the frame also. At first I thought Arthur's battery is made with spacers, but you can hot glue them in a cube pattern instead of a triangle pattern, so I'm not sure.

dvdrwsor said:
I talked to Arthur that I would like to get the battery made from NCRGA cells and since he can't do it at the moment, I'm going to build my own.

I bought 300 cells, and since I don't have the frame yet, any of you guys can help me decide how to build it?

Will it fit in the frame if I split them side by side in 2 packs of 10X15? At the Vector site it shows 2 packs but now it seems there are 5 packs that make the entire battery.
That's all the info that I got from Arthur.

I'm still undecided if I'm going to hot glue them or put them in spacers, because I want to fit the MAX-E in the frame also. At first I thought Arthur's battery is made with spacers, but you can hot glue them in a cube pattern instead of a triangle pattern, so I'm not sure.

I would reccomend you to make you battery pack from smaller packs. Our 20s battery is made of 5x4s blocks. So you can swap them later for many reasons. How many S you are planning your battery?

I would do the smaller packs and 4s makes sense since that is what the BMS is wired for. Also if they will fit I'd go spacers. I hot glued my packs and spot welded myself but I've had 2 sells go south. My whole battery was originally made as 3-8s15p and the bad cells were in the middle, go figure. It could happen so I say make it easier to fix if need be.

If you go half way down the bage you can see my packs I built. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68521

Good luck what ever you decide.

Tom

Tom, thank you for the link and info!

I see the spacers are 20mm X 20mm. Arthur, are your batteries in holders (spacers)? If yours fit with the MAX-E, so should mine.

Anyway, if one cell goes south, them being hot glued seem to be as much of a problem as the holders being laced between the cells and nickel, even more when you use cheaper bigger spacers, like this one.

hot glue : cheaper, less volume BUT labor intensive
spacers: clean look, less work BUT costs more and take more space

I wish someone would tell me they don't fit with spacers in the Vector frame, so I can make up my mind by elimination. :)

dvdrwsor said:
Tom, thank you for the link and info!

I see the spacers are 20mm X 20mm. Arthur, are your batteries in holders (spacers)? If yours fit with the MAX-E, so should mine.

Anyway, if one cell goes south, them being hot glued seem to be as much of a problem as the holders being laced between the cells and nickel, even more when you use cheaper bigger spacers, like this one.

hot glue : cheaper, less volume BUT labor intensive
spacers: clean look, less work BUT costs more and take more space

I wish someone would tell me they don't fit with spacers in the Vector frame, so I can make up my mind by elimination. :)

If you can dig up the internal dimensions of the vector frame, and give me the number of cell blocks and their dimensions, I can run some simulation inside Sketchup (3D program) to see if they will fit and in which arrangement.

Below is another good battery building thread.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=81257

EDIT: I found the internal size of the frame in the thread page below
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=61259&start=1325

In that same page, it also shows that you could eventually get a different set of covers to increase the internal width from 125mm to 160mm (if they are still available)
So what I need from you is the number and size of cell blocks you want to fit in :)

Here are the batterybox size for vector. Larger size pic attached.

jqijfoI.jpg

18650_Battery_Box_Vector.jpg

We also can offer spacers (+16mm) or wider side covers (+50mm). So it is not a question about the frame... Just decide what you want :)
My advise would be to go 4s packs with hot glue. If you have good quality cells (tested before building a pack) than you have nothing to worry about. My 1.5 years old pack (samsung 20R) has over 150 charge cycles, and it is perfectly balanced. :)

Artur could you post some picks of the wide side covers? Preferable from various angles. And show off both the outside and the inside of the covers, to get a better understanding of what is possible with the wider covers.

First, thank you all for your time! I'm really not a fan of the wider covers.

Eyeballing, and knowing that every cell has 20mm now (with spacers) instead of 18mm, I definitely can't fit 5X (4X15).
5X (5X12) might fit, but definitely no room for controller

5X (6X10) definitely fit.
3 laid flat on top of each other on the back side, and 2 standing in the front, but I'm not sure there's room for the Adaptto Max-E (250 X 80 X 40)mm

Also, 6 cells means 120mm . That leaves 5mm for shrink tube, vibration foam and what not, so a very tight fit in width.

300 cells, 5 packs of 4s15p even tho they're in a 6X10 holder.

A little Project I'm working on...
White Vector.jpg

MXUS 3K-Turbo, 3T Winding (11.9 Kv)
19" Moto Rims with Heidenau M3 Moped Tires
20S x 32Ah LiPo (2.64 kWh)
Adaptto Midi-E (8 kW)
Rockshox Boxxer World Cup Forks
Shimano Hydraulic Ebrakes
Domino Throttle
Top Speed around 60 MPH (100 kph)

Does someone has a picture of these spacers everyone is talking about?

I made a 6x10 block (4s 15p) with spacer according to your dimensions (120mm x 200mm) and 70mm high (allows 4.8mm space for connector and insulation between blocks).

Then I used the 3D Sketchup file from the thread I referenced, and if its dimensions are correct, it would tightly fit 5 of them, with just enough space for the Adpatto.
Others, with practical experience, can comment if that would leave enough for padding and insulation between components.

Now that I have the basis, I can run other configurations if you like, or generate different views.

y3mOR9AwFxIt0fOE3uaVg2Te-6QFB-XAQ8SxBy3hrIND-ZqaguV5qB3dAg19-ZKiw5_xmHR4ZkwPSRh-AfiAQ-OM6wr-Vsh6RBT6gmpaUXo7h6sxX58zEeRGlPVqPHkV3XpRsvayY6bnaHfck_ZIbBdKh4m_BgyyTWgEhVq9ISypbc

y3moucnikdTpI0ffJFeji6Hiqx3fRw2P3HvNjpEttXOhMO6E6hCfJr41ZrRkeGub6ziR0eervQWHat5y3c75dC6U1UU6MFuo3vNXQMqu5-PkA-BgbQ7ID9dxlhGRpR_u1o6h-O0MWZYthHATrt6Ss20TwOJO59M0R7B3o4jo5FhLXM

High resolution mages here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!At3vMAQjaOZLiGvEPvWAfNiTK-dh

Thank you scrambler! I really do.

If I take cables in consideration it means I can't fit them. That means that I have to choose :

wide covers
external controller
hot glue

I'll think about it... Thank you again!

Arthur, can I have a picture of the wide side covers installed? It seems nobody wants them for some reason. I even see someone struggling to sell his.

dvdrwsor said:

If I take cables in consideration it means I can't fit them. That means that I have to choose :

wide covers
external controller
hot glue

I'll think about it... Thank you again!

Arthur, can I have a picture of the side covers installed? It seems nobody wants them for some reason. I even see someone struggling to sell his.

Side covers?

I would recommend you to install the controller outside the frame and use controller shield.

We both posted in the same time. I edit it :"wide side covers".

I can't stop thinking about the gravel thrown by the wheel, rain and dust exposure, crash exposure. After all, it's a $745 piece of equipment.

dvdrwsor said:

If I take cables in consideration it means I can't fit them.

Remember that the controller being 80mm wide, it can probably fit between the square tubing of the frame, so it can probably move up another 20mm.

Once you have the frame, you could test if the spacers and letting the controller move up in between the frame tube would be enough space for cables. if not, you can still then decide to either use the wide covers, or to build the battery blocks by hot gluing cells.

Back