4motus / cromotor DH bike build

Iv been riding it today, I did about 3 miles around here just to test it out and bed the brakes in a bit, im still working out bugs at the moment though, like the weird one where I cant use the throttle until the bike is near enough stopped once regen has kicked it, is very odd. It is pretty fast in boost mode though !. The only downside with the frame I have noticed so far is the screws that hold the battery box side panel on are a SERIOUS pain in the rear to line up, it would have been better if the bolts had been mounted in fixed tubes so they just slide in and are in line, I may do this yet, I think I might glue some plastic or metal tube to the inside of the battery box, so the screws slide inside it, as getting the two ends lined up is a complete nightmare, other than that the frame is amazing !.

Its raaaaaaaaather fast !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQp1iviK1Ag&feature=youtu.be

yet to see your vid, as utube is blocked from this server :(

i know what that feels like though, he he.

the throttle switch may act like a cutoff that need to be reset or so...that is odd.
the other thing might be a quirk in the controller that needs smoothing out, or just an adjustment.
i seem to remember ther is a "accelleration of on regen" option.
which might have something to do with it.

try testing the regen with another awitch and see if it still behaves the same.

@cover screws, little block of aluminium rivoted/bolted at rightangles to the screws could be good, then tap threads into that.
id avoid glues, tend to be short lived with lots of vibration an all..

Well I unintentionally tested the circuit breaker today, came down the road down a hill going round a corner, looked down at my brakes and lent to one side, car comes round the corner (I'm on the correct side of the road), but grab the front brake a little too hard and end up going over the handle bars, so I now know the front brake works ok lol. I went to ride off and the system was dead, had a look under the cover and the circuit braker had flipped. Was going to flip it back, but thought it might be a good idea to check everything ever first as didn't want to blow up £300 worth of lipo packs. Took it home and tested each pack and they all good, not not sure why it tripped out, but least I know it works :-D , I'm now an owner of road rash on my arm and leg lol.

Think the throttle may have been setup wrong as when I released it it still crawled forward a bit, so adjusted it and it seems to play ball now, so just need to check it with regen turned on.

Its not finished yet, im going to put up some more photos once iv done some more bits on it. Im changing the chain tensioner that was with the frame as it bent the second time I used it, I may even fit a derailer to tension the chain with instead as with the tensioner its either too tight and will hardly turn or is too loose and the chain slips, so may just scrap that and use a regular derailer to tension the chain with. The way the battery box fits together is going to get modded too, as the problem with the long screws that come with it is its nearly impossible to line the two ends up, as youre doing it all blind, and its a complete nightmare, so I think I may get some nuts welded to the inside lip of the battery box, so the cover just screws straight into these instead as lining it up at present is virtually impossible. I also need to fit my dead mans switch to the bars on the left, so if I come off it will kill the power if the throttle got stuck, im also mounting the circuit breaker in the top or side of the battery box with a silicone cover over the lever so I can turn it on and off without taking the bike apart, as when I crashed it the other day it was a royal pain in the ass taking it apart just to reset the breaker. I need to install and setup the bms yet, as im just balancing each pack with a charger at the moment and it takes hours and hours just to do one pack.

Yes just a bit, I want to take it on some trails, but at the moment I wouldn't trust it as the steer moves around too much at the moment, think it needs tightening or something as it moves when you brake.

Iv not an update for a week or two, iv been busy doing stuff though, iv replaced the standard tensioner on the 4motus frame for a detailer, as the tensioner was a pain in the ass and would either be too tight or too lose and was noisy too, the derailer now keeps everything tight, so I can actually pedal it now.

Iv also been for a few rides to see if everything is working ok, I went on two 15 mile rides yesterday and nothing broke, so all good !

Iv also finished my HP ESP120 power supply, so its all neatly wired up and the connectors are hot glue gun'd up to insulate them and make them safe. I have gone from taking about 3 days to charge all the packs with a standard balance charger to about 20 mins with this beast, it balances the packs to a certain extent when its done charging, but I'm still going to balance them with the lipo charger ever 4-5 charges just so I know the packs are still in good health.
1.jpg
2.jpg

I also noticed that although the BMS has got a layer of lacquer on it, its still conductive, as I picked up the circuit board the other day while it was plugged in to the battery packs and one of the led's randomly came on, I presume it was due to my finger bridging one of the transistors, so I have now used my dremel to cut holes in an old mobile phone shipping box, and glued it into there, so I know its not going to short out on the metal insides of the battery box.
3.jpg
View attachment 1

The charger is seriously quick, its set to 50amps output current and 20 amps battery current, so it soon charges the packs, they don't even get warm at all either.
5.jpg

When you get a chance can you take a proper side on picture from down at bike level?

I'd really like to have a good profile picture for various reasons.

Charging setup is amazing, I'm slightly lost with all this charging coil, output/battery current settings I must admit.

What's that small black circular looking thing on the negative line of your PSU just after the XT connector, is that the coil ?

I thought my 30A iCharger 1Kw PSU charger was cool, but yours in next-gen stuff.

Kudos

20 mins is from about 50% , so a bit longer from flat, but so far iv not actually managed to get it flat even after trying my hardest lol, 15 miles and it was still on 55% yesterday when I got home, that's in boost mode too, running 70 amps battery current and about 110 phase, iv turned the phase up to 140 today so il see how that goes on my ride out.

If you want some good photos there are some good ones on 4motus, its the prototype frame, its slightly different to the one I have, I didn't notice until I started doing things like the chain, as theirs has a derailer on and mine has tensioners, the tensioners are crap, so have put on a derailer and its spot on now.

Good pics here >>
http://4motus.com/e-bike-moto-hybrid/

Il do some of mine once its cleaned up and finished., at the moment I have tape holding the side on so its not great looking lol.

Basically the power supply plugs into the coil, the coil negative goes into the controller, the hall positive goes into one of the motors phase wires, then the bms plugs into the controller and the battery balance leads into the bms. When you charge the bike, I think it creates a negative current, like regen in the motor or something, and then the bike is basically charged by regen, its like hooking your bike to the back of a lorry and charging it that way lol.

The black round / sphere thing is the coil, the long thing attached to it are capacitors I think, when its in balance mode or towards the end of the charge you can hear them discharging as it like pulses the current.

The psu only cost me about 30-40 off ebay second hand so its a bargain really, I just searched ebay for 3000 watt server psu, then checked online that there was wiring schematics available for it. It charges at about 52 volts I think, if I had higher current batteries I could in theory charge even faster, but at 20 amp they don't even break a sweat.

I see from the photos that your 12 packs of 6s 5A Turnigy Lipo fit fine, but the pictures cut off so I can't see if you could fit any more packs in there?

How many in total of those packs do you think would fit?

Kudos

It would fit 18 in total with all the cabling optimised for the job. Mine take up so much space as its series and parallel leads all stuck together and takes up loads of space compared to a compact short loom that's been custom made for the job.

Iv done 53 miles in the last 2 days, today I did a 23 mile ride, when I got back I still had 45% battery left, that's riding it around in boost mode too.

Regarding your pack:

You said you were going for 4s (24s) originally so 88.8v Nominal?

So the pack would be 24s 15Ah (Approx 1.5KWh) is that right ?

Kudos

Iv got 75.6v fully charged, its 12 packs of 6s 5000mah 20c lipo, they are paralleled in bricks of 4 and then the three bricks are in series, so its 20ah apparently, I could fit another 4 packs in if I wanted, but at present the lowest iv ever come home with it 45% battery, and that with giving it some beans too, so I don't need any more at the moment, il have to see how it stands up to the hills of the Peak District, but offroad round here it takes it just fine with looooads of power left afterwards.

This is how I have it at present :

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=140557&mode=view

great to see your loving the charge setup with the adaptto.

this is really the ultimate hit and run,round the back of the supermarket carpark,out door socket power sucker!!! :twisted:

Ha ha it would be if I could find something big enough to transport the power supply in :-D

crea2k said:
Iv got 75.6v fully charged, its 12 packs of 6s 5000mah 20c lipo, they are paralleled in bricks of 4 and then the three bricks are in series, so its 20ah apparently, I could fit another 4 packs in if I wanted, but at present the lowest iv ever come home with it 45% battery, and that with giving it some beans too, so I don't need any more at the moment, il have to see how it stands up to the hills of the Peak District, but offroad round here it takes it just fine with looooads of power left afterwards.

Ah yes of course, I wondering if you'd wired it 3s4p or 4s3p and got mixed up myself with the capacity.

20Ah is decent amount specially at that voltage. My biggest batt is 13.5Ah @ 50V.

So does 75V get you 40mph on the cro?

Kudos

I did 23 miles yesterday mostly offroad and still had 45% left when I got home, there was no slow cruising going on there it was a lot of torquey open throttle motocross stuff, so it certainly lasts well !.

On road cruising you could easily do 40, when it is cruising it comes up with 70-80 miles range.

Back