4motus / cromotor DH bike build

Loving the feel and spring back of the Domino throttle, its a proper motocross one, so feels just like a motocross bike, not like these cheapo ebike throttles, it has quite a bit of resistance, like its pulling a throttle cable.

crea2k said:
The steerer is too short, so I'm having to buy a new lower crown @ £130 argh.

You're certainly racking up the sheets mate! You must be well over 3 grand by now already :shock: but it'll be worth it.

I wonder if any forks come with a long enough steerer as standard ??

Kudos

lol yes and the rest !, I don't want to have a load of decent parts fall apart because of one cheap one though, so gotta do it right !. Its not a standard steerer, its been cut as was off a brand new bike, resold, so probably would have been cheaper to just buy a retail one.

Im currently looking at a gps tracker for it, and rigging up a phone internally as a remote kill switch. An alarm would be handy too.

This is very inspirational, I can't help but plan my own 4motus/cromotor build! I've been doing some sketchup modelling and you can fit a pretty staggering amount of 18650's inside even the smaller of the two battery case options. 3kwh+ of high power (HE2/25R or VTC5) is very possible and should support 150a peaks without being too stressed.

22s15p sounds good to me (other than the price)

Are you going to mount the controller internally?

Yes, its just the price, anything other than lipo was going to cost such an astronomical amount of money it would have been like half the price of the whole project. Yes im mounting the controller internally, removing the case and mounting it directly to the box itself, so it acts as a big heatsink.

We have new stuff ! :
Brake disk the size of a dustbin lid for the front wheel :
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGView attachment 2photo 5.JPG

New lower crown / steerer assembly as the other was too short :
photo 6.JPG

Think I need to get a spacer for the top of the steerer and also cut down the seat post a bit !.

Looking good, what size is that front rotor ? Looks bigger than 203mm.....

Edit: Ah yes I see from your other post it is a 203mm.

Also, did you get your wheel trued at your LBS?

I was checking out the new raptor 140 battery volume but now that it's only 140mm wide you can't lay lipo horizontally which is a huge shame.
However it looks like the 4motus can take more lipo than the 140 and it's a lot cheaper - win win !

Kudos

Yes, 203mm and 160mm , I may upgrade the 160 to a 180 possibly, that's just the one that came in the set.

Iv not got the wheels trued yet, im going to drop the front off and get the shop to do it for £10 , as for the back I might do it myself once the controller arrives, as its a pain in the backside to spin without any power going through it, so im not sure if its possible to true it, but il have a look once iv got it bolted in properly.

Yes I looked at the Raptor before this, but its about double the price, plus I don't like the controller shield thing that's open to the elements, would rather strip it down and mount it inside.

By the way, does anyone know what size freewheel I will need ?, the drop outs on the frame is 150mm, the cromotor is 145mm, haven't got a brake disk yet, as im not sure what sized freewheel I need ?. The front is a 46 tooth.

Freewheel options are limited with the width of the Cromotor as I found in my recent build crea2k. I had my DH Comp swingarm modified to 155mm and did some other interesting things to the disk adapter and the freewheel adapter on both sides of the motor to gain some extra space. This allowed me to use a three stack freewheel (hard to find). The details and photos can be found in the build thread here on the first page:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55605

I went with a 56 tooth rennen chain ring on the front since the smallest you can fit on the back is 14-16 tooth. This allows meaningful pedaling up to about 28 mph.
image.jpg

My other bike accepts a 7 stack freewheel which allows you to get down to 11 tooth. Much better for higher speeds. But 11 tooth becomes impossible with a motor this wide. Obiwan

Holy crap thats big, that would never fit the frame, iv tried a big one already and it catches on the battery box, so having to mod a Shimano 3 speed one.

Yah, without the ability to use a large front ring it becomes very difficult to get pedaling capability in the higher speeds. Fortunately mine had the room. The three speed freewheel I used on the back is a real piece of crap but seems to be working fine for now. One other option for you might be the white brothers eno dos.

image.jpg

These can be acquired in two sizes but they are quite spendy. Obiwan

There's no mount point for a derailer on the frame so can only do single speed.

You may still need to counter bore the freewheel adapter bolt heads if the single speed extends beyond the dropout bearing surface. Don't worry though single speed is still great fun.

for pedalling at high speed:

schlumpf high speed drive. you can switch between 1:1 or 1:2,5 gear ratio

That frame looks killer. Did you buy that from http://www.wimbikes.co.uk/ ? I would be ticked to buy a stealth for £5826 and have it break. Your frame likes really good.

crea2k said:
We have more cables !, and also...............the frame !, whaaay, Thanks to 4motus.com / Linas , it looks great !.

View attachment 1

Hi, no the cromotor came from Wim Bikes, the frame came from http://www.4motus.com . 4motus also sell cromotors and theirs are £100 cheaper too, I only got the one from Wim Bikes because 4motus was out of stock at the time.

What kind of pricing are they looking for on that frame? How long to receive? Weights on your build? The cromotor is really the way to do it I see.

It was around £600 ish, its the stainless steel one, the aluminium one is around £700 , it took a couple of weeks to arrive, I'm not sure on the weight of everything to be honest, im going more for a mountain bike / motocross bike halfway house, so not overly worried about weight, I know its not particularly light, but its built like a tank, so I don't expect it to be. Yes for the cromotor you need the stainless steel frame unless they can do you a one off aluminium frame with stainless swing arm.

Rs do a dc circuit breaker rated at 60 amp 80 v for 8 quid. Any good?

Back