TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

sulx said:
I have throttless version and bought temp sensor but couldn't really figure out which ones are correct wires to put it on. Or was it so that throttless version does not have wires ready? Tried to search through forums and wiki...but maybe I have missed something.
Go and find a picture shared before with indications on where to connect throttle on PCB for the ones that has throttle wire unconnected.

Hi everyone, because of the issues I have with my lights my bike isn't in a rideable condition right now as I'm messing with the cables.

But, I decided to release a beta version anyway to test improved power of the motor. I've released three beta versions to try, I've tested only one of them before my display cable was broken. The versions are almost equal but some have less features enabled than others, see details below.

I'll need your feedback to release an improved version of the firmware. We need a stable version first to add new features like e.g. walk assist later.

You can find the beta releases here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike/releases/tag/v0.13.2-beta1

The release notes:

This beta uses feature toggles to enable certain features, these feature toggles will be available on the display later.

0.13.2-beta1-no-limits_no-throttle (I've tested this one and it has very good performance)
- No speed limiting
- No offroad
- No boost
- No max power
- No temperature power limiting

0.13.2-beta1-no-boost_no-temp_no-max-power (untested!)
- No boost
- No temperature power limiting
- No max power

0.13.2-beta1-no-max-power (untested!)
- All features except the max power feature

If you're already using version 0.13.1 then there is no need to reprogram the display or reset to factory defaults (clearing the data
memory)

Remember: this is beta software, use version 0.13.1 if you want a properly tested version!

casainho said:
sulx said:
I have throttless version and bought temp sensor but couldn't really figure out which ones are correct wires to put it on. Or was it so that throttless version does not have wires ready? Tried to search through forums and wiki...but maybe I have missed something.
Go and find a picture shared before with indications on where to connect throttle on PCB for the ones that has throttle wire unconnected.
Hi Casainho I believe this is your pic ?
file.php

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=232723
It doesnt show a negative connection. I spliced into one of the two negative black wires in the pic. cant remember which one.. But I am only getting 4.4v.

troebi said:
It doesnt show a negative connection
As I measured, the gnd pin is directly next to the 5V pin. So you don't need to harm the wires.

Can you mark the location on the picture please.

Haha my new lm35dz just arrived. Hopefully better quality than the first :) looks like this one got the Royal treatment.

I tested the power consumption with a watt-meter this morning, here are the numbers :

LCD3 power usage : 60.6Wh
Turnigy watt-meter : 87Wh

Peak : 624W

So there is a difference. Hope it helps for future developments.

Could it be related to a different shunt, in the older motor versions ? Could someone else do the same type of tests to validate my observations ?

i'm on 36V 350W Motor with 36V Battery.

Edit : I just recharged the battery and the numbers on my charger are exactly the same as on the watt-meter.

nbdriver said:
I tested the power consumption with a watt-meter this morning, here are the numbers :

LCD3 power usage : 60.6Wh
Turnigy watt-meter : 87Wh

Peak : 624W

So there is a difference. Hope it helps for future developments.
Thanks.

That is inline with the calculated power of my battery packs and the values I measured on LCD3.

nbdriver said:
So you also have a -40% difference in reported vs actual power usage ?
Yes.

I have a 5P14S 3.6ah each cell, that should have 5*3.6*52 = 936Wh but I measured on LCD3 a value of 670Wh, that's the -40%.

Thanks for the update Troebi.

Casainho my bike tells me I only use 80 to 100wh for a one way trip (17km) to work which means I can do 4 trips without charging however I know I can only do about 2 and a half to 3 trips. So any ideas about the calculation errors ?
I’m using 10s3p 3.5ah GA cells

EC I loaded up the beta version and reset to defaults so will be testing tomorrow.

jbalat said:
Thanks for the update Troebi.
Casainho my bike tells me I only use 80 to 100wh for a one way trip (17km) to work which means I can do 4 trips without charging however I know I can only do about 2 and a half to 3 trips. So any ideas about the calculation errors ?
I’m using 10s3p 3.5ah GA cells
See the issue I did open with my ideas for what can be wrong. Still, the battery SOC percentage indicator works well if you use the total capacity measured by LCD3.

Cool, hey don’t forget to add the photo to the wiki for setting up the temperature sensor

casainho said:
AZUR said:
1 - Can you give me the link where you bought the temperature sensor?
2 - When do you plan to have walk Assist?
As you saw in GR22 sometimes we need, walk assist, in the mountains.
1: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LM35DZ-Sensore-di-Temperatura-TO-92-Centigrade-Temperature-Sensors/141254870285?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

2: I do not have a plan to implement it, although I need it. Maybe when EndlessCadence solve the bug on current firmware version, we can think to implement this feature.

The other feature would be to implement calculation of pedal human power to show to user as also to use for calculation of assist level.

I think that are the most important features to develop for now.

Thanks.

I did already the order of the temperature sensor.

I agree Human Power is also important.

Azur

Hi EC I did try your beta version on the way in to work and agree it is better. Most of the bugs are ironed out. I still could not get more than 420w using default level 9 assist and 800W set on the power override. I had a low battery and only 16A max configured. I'm hoping that it will be fixed when we go back to multipliers for assist levels. I have also upped the max current and will have a full battery so see how it goes on the way home.

BTW. I will post up my old firmware for you to try which feels more like my Trek just for your comparison since you started on this journey a bit later than some of us.

Anyway I did have one issue which I hope you can identify in the code.

I went off a jump, stopped pedalling but moving around 30km/hr, when I landed I did not get any assist for about 1 revolution. Its ok but I know that when I start from rest the motor almost reacts right away.

I dont see why if the wheel rpm is >0 and torque>0 then there should be no other logic to prevent you from getting any assistance. I think casainho mentioned he did some test to prevent "cheating", something about his son leaning on the peddles.. Not sure if this is the code that you need to look at, but much appreciated if you get a chance.

jbalat said:
Hi EC I did try your beta version on the way in to work and agree it is better. Most of the bugs are ironed out. I still could not get more than 420w using default level 9 assist and 800W set on the power override. I had a low battery and only 16A max configured. I'm hoping that it will be fixed when we go back to multipliers for assist levels. I have also upped the max current and will have a full battery so see how it goes on the way home.

BTW. I will post up my old firmware for you to try which feels more like my Trek just for your comparison since you started on this journey a bit later than some of us.

Anyway I did have one issue which I hope you can identify in the code.

I went off a jump, stopped pedalling but moving around 30km/hr, when I landed I did not get any assist for about 1 revolution. Its ok but I know that when I start from rest the motor almost reacts right away.

I dont see why if the wheel rpm is >0 and torque>0 then there should be no other logic to prevent you from getting any assistance. I think casainho mentioned he did some test to prevent "cheating", something about his son leaning on the peddles.. Not sure if this is the code that you need to look at, but much appreciated if you get a chance.
Hi jbalat, thanks for reporting back! Can you be more specific, which of the three beta versions did you try? I've bypassed the power override in all versions so that doesn't matter really.

As mentioned before I've only tried the first version which runs easily to around 600w (my max current is 12a @48v). In assist level 9 I only had to press the pedals lightly to get this result. Default settings only.
Regarding the assist doesn't pick up immediately after restarting pedalling issue, yes I also get this but didn't look into this yet. It's also far less noticeable than before. Please first focus on the power issue.

Thanks! I will try the old version 0.3 when my bike is finally rideable again. :D

I tried the one that you tried and recommended. I'm on 36v remember. Even at assist level 9 and super strong headwind I was sitting around 320w and only hit 625w once going up a steep hill at really low cadence. I must say that it did feel nice to ride but low on power. I didn't try adjusting the assist level but I can try that tomorrow.
For some reason I assumed you were on 36v..

I started documenting Bafang 850C color display, the JTAG flash/debug pins are easy accessible just like on KT-LCD3 display:

Flash and debug
The JTAG SWD pins are available on the board, on the pads as seen on next picture, with the following JTAG pins (from left to right): GND; NRST; SWCLK; SWDIO.

Bafang_850C_board-JTAG.jpg

More information here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/Color_LCD/wiki/Bafang-850C

Guys, my lights and cabling issues will be resolved very soon then I will continue to fix the issues related to limited power and lags while pedalling. I need all the help available for testing the beta versions I will release soon! :wink:

Anyone else has some reports about the latest 0.13.1 betas?

Anyone experienced with LCDs that uses 16 data lines??

I got the wiring of the LCD, seems there are 16 data lines and other 3 control lines that are always changing...

https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/Color_LCD/wiki/Bafang-850C

casainho said:

I got the wiring of the LCD, seems there are 16 data lines and other 3 control lines that are always changing...

My experimental TFT has 16 pins, but for display data communication it uses 5.
arduino_tft_spi_kmr-1.8.JPG

feketehegyi said:
casainho said:

My experimental TFT has 16 pins, but for display data communication it uses 5.
arduino_tft_spi_kmr-1.8.JPG
Nice to see that picture!! :)

I see that your LCD is SPI, the one on Bafang 850C seems be be parallel data. Should have advantages, like the LCD data refresh being way faster and that should help to draw in real time some graphs...

I created the development branch on firmware and implemented the following features:
1. Implemented: LCD3: low pass filter the pedal cadence value shown to user #8
2. Improved battery voltage reading on LCD3 and battery SOC graph bars calculation

Back