Ohio race bike.....controllers...I hate them all!

4 days & closing in fast.
I was so disapointed my race tires wern't here when I got home today :(
in other news I installed the 6fet controller & wiring set up.

The #s? well no load rear wheel spins at 720rpms..... thats 51 mph boys...I couldn't stand to not give it a try...soo I pumped up the ever leaky rear tire & made 1 run up & back on the dusty dirt road I call home...friggin' awsome. I think I may be a bit above the 42mph I had in theroy. Spins the rear tire easily on the loose gravel road. (spun the valve stem right off the now shredded rotten tire. :D :D )
Rock steady at speed. If there is a weak link it will be frame flex in the rear triangle...3 days to re-weld some braceing.

Here is a shot of the monster sprocket, seems to work well. This weekend will be the trial by fire.
P6010011.jpg

stealth enough for you? :p

The electric package all mounts to the bottom of the battery box.
P6010012.jpg

Fingers crossed my tires are here tomorrow.
I am taking thursday & friday off to get the rides all ready. (I may run a back up sprocket just in case) & I need to prep the tranny clad bmx for the event. Back to 30+ gearing & see if the Engine clad bikes are ready to race.
with the crew on hand i will have all kinds of video of the bikes in action & of the event. (lord willing & the creek dont rise) some may even be viewable :p
I am borrowing a friends motor home for the trip & have a team of fellows coming along (mostly to see if my toy motored bike is really as fast as I say.
I think we are going to have a lot of new guys droping in this area on june 6th or 7th. :mrgreen:

Take spares, design for disconnects for hot swap of spares, fasten down all wires really, really well, add some wood bits to protect stuff when you wipe out.

Mostly, just go kick ass. No matter how it ends, you'll do our reputation good. I wish I could have built your battery pack. I still need about 5 months before I'm ready for that, but then...

Katou

This is so cool!
Wishing you great good luck...looks to me like it will be your competition that will need the luck though - you've got a winner.

Curious about the rear sprocket and hub. If you have time I would appreciate more info. I read the thread several times but did not see anything.
How did you make this or did you buy it? Looks like a metal toothed band is joined to a plastic "web" which is joined to the hub? More pictures of the hub and sprocket assembly would be great...I can wait till you come back from the race and have more time.

Hi Roy,

thud's sprocket is here .... http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14728&start=165
i must say i like the lexan(?) see through sprocket, pretty stealth, looking forward to seeing it run hard :)
Best of luck with the race T, be sure and get some video!!!! :mrgreen:

D

Thanks Guys,

I am taking all the spares I can. This has been a perfect monster garage episode. Working 45 hours a week at my real job, chopping up 2 junk big box store huffys to make this racer, Vendors sending the wrong stuff, Me trying out things Ive never before attempted (modding controllers/powersupplies) & add the usual family obligation's.....made for TV drama :lol: I am so thankfull for the help I am getting. Friends are loaning me a ride with acomadations at the race & Recumpence has come through with a loaner speed controller for the BMX to participate also. HUGE THANKS Matt.

RWP,
That sprocket is from the mind of etard. His concept is really good.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14728&start=165
I actually made this one from Lexan & it is on an adapter I cut out from my bmx thread. One of my tasks daily is programing our cnc centers & keeping the tooling current, so I am spoiled, having accsess to all the parts I can imagine. If these work out I can help any one interested in this set up. We are a Wood shop so The boss gets nervous when I mill aluminum on his machines, but the lexan mills like butter.
the hub is just a standard freewheel "sandwiched" between the kart sprocket adapter & another threaded section to add a 2nd freewheel for the pedals. Not a truely independant serial drive. Next time for sure because this is worthless for pedaling now.
I am now officaly a #35 drive chain proponent, just for the cost factor & ease of accesability.
hope that clears (pun intended) things up about the sprocket.

if you get any test rides in before the the race Thud please get some video, i really want to see it run, so simple a setup, nice.

D

hehe, I actually have video of the 2 speed in action & of the controller going POP! on a lil moto loop up the street.

But the 1 handed crap video is practicly illegable & I need to block the wind noise from my Mic on the camera...I will take all the tips for better video capture I can get. I will mount my tiny turnigy cam to my helmet for in race action & have another camera on trackside for some real edit video action of the race. At home I am crippled with time constraints......

Thud said:
..I will take all the tips for better video capture I can get. ....

I have heard tape over the microphone prevents wind noise but other sounds can still be heard reasonably well...

KiM

Well, after a phone conversation with online support at niagra cycle works last wensday & a promised friday shipment with a pre-paid next day delivery....I was again disapointed that the ups man left no tires on my porch today.... :evil:

Another phone call & wouldn't you know it, it just shipped out today....GRRRRRRR! Hang up the phone & sure enough there is the e-mail in the in box with a traking #....Friday for the good stuff. I love their prices, but they typicly ship in a min. of 5 days. (mcmaster carr has whare houses all over the country & I have never had an order not ship complete & deliverd the next day....) I am off to the big box store to blow another $20 on crap tires & tubes to get a real shake down of the set up.

In other news, I was in town today & picked up another drop of lexan & now have a back up "ghost" sprocket in 131 teeth. faster launch & still in the 40mph range.....any one have motored bike experiance? I am pretty confident....IF.... it all holds together I will be very hard to catch.....hope there is some competition...just not too much :lol:

Looks fantastic, Thud! You will dominate with this machine! I am hoping those tires show up in time, too.

I am lovin that rear sprocket! You have done an amazing job bringing it all together, monster rear 219 sprocket single stage reduction, very affordable RC motor, sensors on motor for use with ebike controller, Lipo pack, and custom frame. Wow!

I finally got my ChoppersUS hub (Quando) and agree that it is a bit light. I removed the bearing cup and will extend the thread to accomodate 2 freewheels and then add sealed bearings at each end.

Best of luck!

Now you need to light it for night riding. A dozen or so UV-LEDs (which emit a lot of bluish-purple light, too), secured to the inner edge of the ghost sprocket, all pointing outwards to edgelight it.

You'd have a glowing blue ring of chain....

If you dye the chain with clear UV dye or spray it with conformal coat (which usually has UV dye in it for inspection purposes), then the chain itself will brightly glow from the UV and from the visible light.

E-Bike #2 ready for action:
I spent the whole day yesterday getting the BMX leagal (put pedals back on it ) & added a batery box to protect the lipos. The box is painted & not in the photos (another quick & dirty just to get by modd) Droped the gates gt2 primary it was skipping horibly with the abuse I was giving it. I also learned that the Ice 100 controller is in fact working....the motor threw a magnet & severed a phase wire....there was a LOT of smoke & the out of sync screetching the lil controller made..eeuuuwww. I naturaly assumed I had lunched it. I pluged it in to a fresh motor & it seems happy as ever.....may be tougher than I thought.

A new #25 primary
P6030005.jpg

batteries will ride in fornt of the downtube.

New sprocket adapter & Kart chain:
P6030002.jpg

the de-railer gives me beu' coup chain clearance

And the buisness side of the tranny:
P6030003.jpg

P6030001.jpg

One of the team has a mobile hot spot set up, So we may have live updates from the track as the day unfolds.
My tires are in a truck driving about town as I type this.....Hope its a light shipping day or someone nearby has an early delivery I would like to hit the road by 2:30 this afternoon.
I am off to mount the new ghost sprocket to the scud. With rubber grometts to protect at the attatchment points. & Then its load-em up & roll.

Nice Thud!! Those gassers are gonna be pissed when you beat em to the first corner!! Don't beat em too bad, or else they won't invite us back. :evil:

Are you gonna race both bikes? Is somebody else gonna ride one? Looking forward to helmet cam video. Good luck my friend.

johnrobholmes said:
Details on those mags with disc mounts!

I would think the details are DIY adapters on the CNC bolt them onto the mags
looking by the pics i think i see some of that Thudster DIY anodising peakings
its head out of the hub area of them there Skywayz :lol: I see "my" 2 speed
is still in red not blue and securely fastened to the BMX stiull also :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:

Best of Luck Thudmiester make it PiiIIIISSSSS

KiM

Baahhhhh!
Its Raining in west Michigan ATM...... Forcast for Carrother's Ohio is 80% chance of thunder showers.... I hope the track can take a good bit of water. (& the go-kart boys don't mind us up tearing up a soft track)
on the good side I love a track with a ton of cushion...any line you want baby!
Good for the motor home... I hate tenting in the rain.

JRH. Them are standard Skyway's with some incerts cut to fit the molded center hub secions, no cnc just lathe work. then an adapter turned & drilled for the discs. The rear is a hard to find "flip flop" hub & a custom adapter to thread onto the flop side to mount the disc.

Etard, I have 2 guys traveling with me. We all will be trading off on the bikes all day. (if the weather cooperates) I hope somebody has a big barn to move it all indoors. Them really nice gasser builds do not want to destroy their handy work with a mud race. We Mi motocrossers are famouse for our mud racing prowess :twisted: need to get some silicone spray & waterprooofing......the bain of ellectric power. water hazards!

Back