TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

raw said:
izeman said:
Having the motor support only above 6km/h is just plain stupid.
Where are you from? i hear this the first time. maybe you are confusing something with the 6km/h limit for motor support without pedaling? With pedaling, the limit is 25km/h in europe which is good enougt for most situations.
Sorry. My wrong. It was written confusingly. Of course it's pedaling above 6km/h. Don't know what was in my mind at time of writing :shock: :lol:

I'm having trouble with the speed sensor, I can't find a position where it doesn't either read 0km/hr or 180km/hr. I think the sensor is just too close to my spokes. Will any speed sensor work with the Open Source firmware? Is there just two wires in there?

Is it normal for there to be this much play in the chainring of a new TSDZ2 ? I just bought another TSDZ2 for my wife and it's got the same problem just not so bad.

TSDZ2_Wobble.gif

Casainho, it seems to me from testing today that the logic behind the start boost enable/disable when using an sw102 display is inverted.

I get great start boost and motor power comes in within half a pedal rotation when I set the feature to disabled. It seems that changes to the duration and fade are taken into consideration.

Set the feature to enabled and I need many pedal revolutions before assistance cuts in, like I am in power mode (you know by now, I only ride in torque mode on this bike)...

Can anyone else replicate this behaviour?

On another subject, assist without pedal movement. - it seems to take a few seconds after it has been activated before it will become active again? This makes standing starts, on a hill for example, a total pain because after you have used it once, if you need it again it is not available.

HughF said:
Casainho, it seems to me from testing today that the logic behind the start boost enable/disable when using an sw102 display is inverted.

I get great start boost and motor power comes in within half a pedal rotation when I set the feature to disabled. It seems that changes to the duration and fade are taken into consideration.

Set the feature to enabled and I need many pedal revolutions before assistance cuts in, like I am in power mode (you know by now, I only ride in torque mode on this bike)...

Can anyone else replicate this behaviour?

Interesting. Last week playing with the boost enable/disable I noticed more power disable than enable at the start. But I didn't think about an inversion. I am not able to test before the weekend. My display is SW102 as well.

raw said:
@casainho

just some bainstorming... i think about the possibility of using a smartphone as controller instead of the Bafang display. for the buttons something like this could be used.
then just a small circuit that tunnels the uart packages over serial bluetooth to the smartphone and back. would that work from the latency/bandwidth side or would it require modifications of the motors firmware?

This will work, no problem with latency as all the critical stuff runs inside the motor, display is only for the configuration and display. You will need to rewrite display logic in smartphone app, plus add a hardware to the motor controller to enable bluetooth. The question is why? I cannot see any advantages for this solution. I'm currently trying to do a version where you would not need a display at all... Just power on your motor and move...

vshitikov said:
raw said:
@casainho

just some bainstorming... i think about the possibility of using a smartphone as controller instead of the Bafang display. for the buttons something like this could be used.
then just a small circuit that tunnels the uart packages over serial bluetooth to the smartphone and back. would that work from the latency/bandwidth side or would it require modifications of the motors firmware?

This will work, no problem with latency as all the critical stuff runs inside the motor, display is only for the configuration and display. You will need to rewrite display logic in smartphone app, plus add a hardware to the motor controller to enable bluetooth. The question is why? I cannot see any advantages for this solution. I'm currently trying to do a version where you would not need a display at all... Just power on your motor and move...
That is already in development - https://github.com/TSDZ2-ESP32/TSDZ2-ESP32-Wiki/wiki:

But I wish it was done with a NRF52 with BLE and ANT+ to work as other ebikes and connect to many ANT+ sensors.

PCBInstalled.jpg

PCB.jpg

casainho said:
That is already in development - https://github.com/TSDZ2-ESP32/TSDZ2-ESP32-Wiki/wiki:

But I wish it was done with a NRF52 with BLE and ANT+ to work as other ebikes and connect to many ANT+ sensors.

Hi, i also considered the NRF52 but I had excluded the chip because it has only one UART. I need at least two UART to talk with both controller and LCD (better three to have also a debug log).

The actual implementation does not have Ant+ (there isn't a Ant+ protocol stack for the ESP32) but is BLE and has also the BLE Cycling Power Profile. I have tested it with Oruxmaps and should work with many other applications.

If you want to try it, I will gladly give you a board as a thank you for all the work you have done.

P.S.
Today i install the motor on the bike and, if it stops raining, i will made the first ride with the new board.

2020514231813_20200514_225656.jpg

mspider65 said:
Hi, i also considered the NRF52 but I had excluded the chip because it has only one UART. I need at least two UART to talk with both controller and LCD (better three to have also a debug log).
Strange because NRF52840 that supports BLE and ANT+ has 2x UARTS with DMA. And I am pretty sure a third one could be implemented using pin interrupts.

Thanks for the offer but I would not use the board currently so maybe you can offer instead to other developers that will really use it.

Garmin watches for instance, they continuously broadcast the user heart rate value by ANT+ and I wish to receive that and show on the display.

casainho said:
Strange because NRF52840 that supports BLE and ANT+ has 2x UARTS with DMA. And I am pretty sure a third one could be implemented using pin interrupts.

Thanks for the offer but I would not use the board currently so maybe you can offer instead to other developers that will really use it.

Garmin watches for instance, they continuously broadcast the user heart rate value by ANT+ and I wish to receive that and show on the display.

Yes, You are right, i don't remeber well, but i suppose i have discarded the device because uses a BGA like package. I'm not confident with BGAs components, probably i had to switch from 2 layers PCB to 4 layers PCB and also most manufacturers apply extra costs for BGA components. This would have increased the board cost significantly for small production batches.

In any case your scenario is interesting, and i think could be easly implemented also with this board.
I suppose the Ant+ sensors you are talking are also available with BLE interface (Heart Rate for sure) because not all Phones supports Ant+ but all Phones supports BLE.

It would be quite simple for the ESP32 connect to a sensor like a Heart rate monitor (or other) and sending the data to a display like the 860c

I'm pretty sure the ESP32 can act at the same time as BT master and slave and manage multiple connections.

mspider65 said:
In any case your scenario is interesting, and i think could be easly implemented also with this board.
I suppose the Ant+ sensors you are talking are also available with BLE interface (Heart Rate for sure) because not all Phones supports Ant+ but all Phones supports BLE.
Seems to me that ANT+ is much more common but I agree with you, seems many new devices also supports Bluetooth.

Maybe in future, instead of an ebike display, we could use instead our watches or cycle computers. There are also remote buttons. For the ones no wanting to use a display, then probably use only a remote button -- and both display and buttons being easily removal.
I think your project has a lot of potential, to make TSDZ2 controllable by, for instance, Garmin cycle computers. Then these computers could also connect to the remote buttons, Bluetooth BMS and lights.

Well, all of this is also possible to go with SW102 because it also supports Bluetooth and current implements the Bluetooth cycling profile you did mention before.

- cycle computers that can show ebike data as also control the ebike assistance with their buttons -- example Garmin Edge controlling a Shimano motor:
SHIMANO-STEPS-eBIKE-SYSTEM-COMPATIBLE-562d1fde-f0a0-4ee0-896a-ddc76df7528e.png

- remote buttons
IMG_0032_thumb.jpg

lf-lg.jpg

I bet that Garmin watches can also work as a display and remote buttons:
- Garmin watches showing ebike data and will record your cycling fitness activity with data of cadence, speed, human power, etc:
8c2675b8-9a01-4614-8fa0-85b570b73f6b

- chest heart rate sensors
polar-h9_180.PNG

- bike lights with radar to see cars approaching at your rear:
varia-rtl515_180.jpg

Hi,

Since I installed that firmware (latest stable) there is a very annoying problem : the motors cuts off on bumps and shocks.

That's a very short cut but makes it impossible to ride on trails.

I rode 150km with the stock firmware, it never happened. Since I only changed the display for a SW102 and didn't touch anything else like battery cable, could it be that this problem is related to a bad solder on the cable ? Or could it be something else ? I believe that my soldering skills are good but of course you never know.

Thanks for your advice.

Matt

pagaille said:
Since I installed that firmware (latest stable) there is a very annoying problem : the motors cuts off on bumps and shocks.
Probably you need to disable the fast cadence stop configuration.
Please report if that solved or not your issue.

pagaille said:
Hi,

That's a very short cut but makes it impossible to ride on trails.

I rode 150km with the stock firmware, it never happened. Since I only changed the display for a SW102 and didn't touch anything else like battery cable, could it be that this problem is related to a bad solder on the cable ? Or could it be something else ? I believe that my soldering skills are good but of course you never know.

Thanks for your advice.

Matt
From the Wiki:

Cadence fast stop / Cadenc stp enable Enable for regular bicycles and disable for some full suspension bicycles, if you feel the motor stops while you are pedaling.

i did a test ride yesterday with street mode on with a limit of 25km/h (and power limit 1000W). i noticed that i still get like 200W support when around 26/27 km/h and going uphill and i can hear the motor working.

bug or feature? :) i did not yet take a close look on the motors firmware.

casainho said:
pagaille said:
I had this issue, disabling the fast cadence stop worked for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

raw said:
i did a test ride yesterday with street mode on with a limit of 25km/h (and power limit 1000W). i noticed that i still get like 200W support when around 26/27 km/h and going uphill and i can hear the motor working.

bug or feature? :) i did not yet take a close look on the motors firmware.

From the wiki:
Speed limit / Speed limt 25 km/h
Set speed limit for when Street Mode is active.
The motor will fade out power from -0.5 km/h to +2,0 km/h to prevent overspeeding.

Ok since I had 0.8.0 that setting was not available. Also I don't have suspensions at all...

I just updated to 1.0.0B1 and currently configure it. I'll report.

One thing I notice : there is a bug that makes impossible to calibrate the torque sensor : as soon as you scroll further than "Pedal Group" the display hangs. It also happens quite often at seemingly random times.

I read that somebody else had reported the same problems not so long ago.

(Motors cuttofs on bumps) Please report if that solved or not your issue.

Indeed my rapid test shows that disabling the fast "cadence fast stop" setting solves my issue. What could cause those cutoffs ?

pagaille said:
One thing I notice : there is a bug that makes impossible to calibrate the torque sensor : as soon as you scroll further than "Pedal Group" the display hangs. It also happens quite often at seemingly random times.

I read that somebody else had reported the same problems not so long ago.
Are you using an SW102 display? I had some display hangups when configuring mine the other day.

Are you using an SW102 display? I had some display hangups when configuring mine the other day.

Yes indeed, sorry forgot to mention it. I opened a case on GitHub : https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/Color_LCD/issues/98

The problem was already present in 0.8.0 but less prominent.

pagaille said:

Yes indeed, sorry forgot to mention it. I opened a case on GitHub : https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/Color_LCD/issues/98

The problem was already present in 0.8.0 but less prominent.
I agree, I was using 0.7.0 and it had a few hangups too... I just learn to live with it :)

Nfer said:
From the wiki:
The motor will fade out power from -0.5 km/h to +2,0 km/h to prevent overspeeding.

i should really have read it :) sorry. there is a +10% tolerance in the law, so the assisted speed limit up to 27,5km/h would be within it - but only if the speed sensing is calibrated on spot. i think it should be changed so that there is no support above the specified limit. if the user knows his calibration is on spot, he could raise the limit to 27 km/h to get the same result. maybe some countries have a smaller tolerance margin and not knowing about the "overdrive" feature could cause trouble.

Or is it common that commercial bikes support up to 27km/h?

raw said:
Nfer said:
From the wiki:

i should really have read it :) sorry. there is a +10% tolerance in the law, so the assisted speed limit up to 27,5km/h would be within it - but only if the speed sensing is calibrated on spot. i think it should be changed so that there is no support above the specified limit. if the user knows his calibration is on spot, he could raise the limit to 27 km/h to get the same result. maybe some countries have a smaller tolerance margin and not knowing about the "overdrive" feature could cause trouble.

Or is it common that commercial bikes support up to 27km/h?
Just out of curiosity, where are you located?

Back