TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

HughF said:
Just out of curiosity, where are you located?

Germany, and people here take their laws very serious. :shock:. At least compared to what I have seen on my vacation in Greece (krete). Regular technical checks on your car? No. Helmets on motor bikes? Only for children. License plate? Most of the time. Stationary radar speed measurements? Seems like there is a guerilla army destroying them. Overtaking without clear view? No problem, opposing traffic will go out of the way. Speed limts? You mean speed recommendations.

Was a hell of fun 🤣 I would like the Germans to be a bit more relaxed. But as I do not plan to move, I have to live with it.

pagaille said:
I just updated to 1.0.0B1 and currently configure it. I'll report.

One thing I notice : there is a bug that makes impossible to calibrate the torque sensor : as soon as you scroll further than "Pedal Group" the display hangs. It also happens quite often at seemingly random times.

I read that somebody else had reported the same problems not so long ago.

I have the same problem with 1.0.0beta1 on SW102. Random hangups are manageable, but it seems to be impossible to calibrate the torque sensor in this version.

I managed to enter some calibration values without it locking up. I did however jump straight to the highest weight for left and right and just change the weights, didn't touch the adc values.

Tried multiple times. Can’t go past the third menu item. The display hangs as soon as you reach it.

pagaille said:
Tried multiple times. Can’t go past the third menu item. The display hangs as soon as you reach it.
First try to reset the display to defaults.

Also :

• auto power-off doesn’t work (whatever the duration set).
• setting a number of assistance levels <=9 is difficult because of a bug in the way long press down button is handled.

IMHO From an user experience perspective I don’t really see the added value to have more than 5 or 6 levels. At the contrary, having to go through 20 levels to go from eco mode to turbo is really cumbersome and dangerous.

pagaille said:
Also :

• setting a number of assistance levels <=9 is difficult because of a bug in the way long press down button is handled.

IMHO From an user experience perspective I don’t really see the added value to have more than 5 or 6 levels. At the contrary, having to go through 20 levels to go from eco mode to turbo is really cumbersome and dangerous.
20 assist levels would be fine if we had eMTB mode again. The was it stands presently I ride on either level 13, level 15, or level 20. Anything less than 13 is too little assistance.

I would like the display to automatically recalculate the assist multipliers between 0-1.5 when you change the number of levels. So if you set it to 10 levels then it would keep 1.5 as the maximum but just interpolate new values for the other 8 steps.

I would like the display to automatically recalculate the assist multipliers between 0-1.5 when you change the number of levels. So if you set it to 10 levels then it would keep 1.5 as the maximum but just interpolate new values for the other 8 steps.

I thought it was the case, at least internally ?

pagaille said:

I thought it was the case, at least internally ?
I have not tried to reduce the assist levels since 0.6.8/0.57.x - It was my understanding and memory that it just removes the top assist levels if you go from 20 down to, for example, 5 assist levels.

I like the way it remembers the assist level between power cycles - that is handy.

pagaille said:
Also :

Confirmed - auto power off doesnt work. Also i dont understand the need for 20 levels. Maybe if we had a cadence assist motor and then adjusting assist would be as frequent as changing gears. 5-6 is perfect for this motor, i always set it to 0.1, 0.2, 0.25, 0.3, 0.45, 0.65 after every reflash. Its tedious doing that with the up/down but its a must since its important to have quick assist changes when riding

ezrider1199 said:
pagaille said:
Also :

Confirmed - auto power off doesnt work. Also i dont understand the need for 20 levels. Maybe if we had a cadence assist motor and then adjusting assist would be as frequent as changing gears. 5-6 is perfect for this motor, i always set it to 0.1, 0.2, 0.25, 0.3, 0.45, 0.65 after every reflash. Its tedious doing that with the up/down but its a must since its important to have quick assist changes when riding

Nobody must use all 20 levels! You are free to change only 3 or 5 or 10. I can't understand why we should change this! Casainho has declared in a earlier post why he want this!

Nobody must use all 20 levels! You are free to change only 3 or 5 or 10. I can't understand why we should change this! Casainho has declared in a earlier post why he want this!

No problem with that, even if I'm not aware of the reason why those 20 levels could be necessary.

But again from an UX point of view 20 levels as default setting is strange to say the least and asfaik reducing the number of levels is a tedious task that could be automated (levels should be computed automatically from a defined min level to a defined max level)

pagaille said:

No problem with that, even if I'm not aware of the reason why those 20 levels could be necessary.

But again from an UX point of view 20 levels as default setting is strange to say the least and asfaik reducing the number of levels is a tedious task that could be automated (levels should be computed automatically from a defined min level to a defined max level)
I agree and understand most suggestions and messages but still I have to ignore them like this one, because everything is possible but someone have to do it and I simple can´t - I understand that there is no knowledge about how many man hours and effort is need to implement and maintain all the features.

Would be no problem if everyone that makes a suggestion would contribute by implementing it and submit a pull request, as also keep the maintenance over the time. Other option would be to pay like 5000€ for each feature, to guarantee the development and future maintenance.

casainho said:
pagaille said:

I agree and understand most suggestions and messages but still I have to ignore them like this one, because everything is possible but someone have to do it and I simple can´t - I understand that there is no knowledge about how many man hours and effort is need to implement and maintain all the features.

Would be no problem if everyone that makes a suggestion would contribute by implementing it and submit a pull request, as also keep the maintenance over the time. Other option would be to pay like 5000€ for each feature, to guarantee the development and future maintenance.
Ah, the joys of managing a popular open source project :)

I understand that there is no knowledge about how many man hours and effort is need to implement and maintain all the features.

Not at all, quite the contrary actually 😊

I understood that you were requesting comments and suggestions, return from user experience. That's what I did. Those are not critics, just my thoughts as a lambda user with a strong attention to UX.

But sure, let's leave the (great) features as they are and concentrate on the bugs ! 😊 The most problematic for me is the hangs when configuring.

Regarding a PR : my limited programming skills are keeping me to address complex bugs but maybe I could try to do something regarding the number of assistance levels. I'll have a look.

pagaille said:
Regarding a PR : my limited programming skills are keeping me to address complex bugs but maybe I could try to do something regarding the number of assistance levels. I'll have a look.
Don´t do it, better to keep things simple otherwise will be a pain to maintain. And focus energy only on really highly valuable features.
The thing you refer, can be minimized if user just need to install once the firmware and for that, focus on really important features only, to release less new versions.

casainho said:
vshitikov said:
raw said:
@casainho

just some bainstorming... i think about the possibility of using a smartphone as controller instead of the Bafang display. for the buttons something like this could be used.
then just a small circuit that tunnels the uart packages over serial bluetooth to the smartphone and back. would that work from the latency/bandwidth side or would it require modifications of the motors firmware?

This will work, no problem with latency as all the critical stuff runs inside the motor, display is only for the configuration and display. You will need to rewrite display logic in smartphone app, plus add a hardware to the motor controller to enable bluetooth. The question is why? I cannot see any advantages for this solution. I'm currently trying to do a version where you would not need a display at all... Just power on your motor and move...
That is already in development - https://github.com/TSDZ2-ESP32/TSDZ2-ESP32-Wiki/wiki:

Interesting, Casainho, But what I actually mean is that I will try to adapt the current firmware in a such way that If I disconnect the display It continues to function normally. This way user can only connect display once for the configuration and then run the bike without the display. The critical functionality that will be missing is the change of the assistance levels, but it might be sufficient for majority of users to ride with and average assist level. This feature can also be useful for the reliability purposes.

on sw102 I also cannot set the torque calibration because the system hangs when navigating in the calibration menu.

Still waiting on the new controller to arrive since I fried it with faulty firmware almost 3 months ago. I had to buy another bike, folding one to use this good weather.

I'm closely watching this thread so I can figure out which firmware versions are safe for tsdz2+sw102 but I'm still puzzled.

Can we somehow know which firmware versions are actually stable? I don't want to fry another controller since I don't have a backup. I'm actually thinking of putting back vlcd5 and going with the stock firmware until the situation clears out with custom firmware.

hefest said:
Still waiting on the new controller to arrive since I fried it with faulty firmware almost 3 months ago. I had to buy another bike, folding one to use this good weather.

I'm closely watching this thread so I can figure out which firmware versions are safe for tsdz2+sw102 but I'm still puzzled.

Can we somehow know which firmware versions are actually stable? I don't want to fry another controller since I don't have a backup. I'm actually thinking of putting back vlcd5 and going with the stock firmware until the situation clears out with custom firmware.
I think the compiler issues that caused controller failure are very much in the past now. I have run pretty much every version of firmware for sw102 since February, no issues with controller failure, and I have been riding on maximum current and current ramp.

HughF said:
casainho said:
pagaille said:

Ah, the joys of managing a popular open source project :)

I like 20 levels, it allows you to find the highest level you want and the lowest level that works. Then you pick how many levels you want and put your lowest level you lake as 1 and your highest as how many you want and fill in the canter levels with even spaces. My wife set 3 as 1 and 12 as 4 then even jumps as 2 an 3. It works great!

I have a strange issue with my TSDZ2 measuring battery voltage with about less 10V and also the value oscillates like +-1 volts.

I tested the same battery on another TSDZ2 and vice-versa and yes, the issue is not the battery (even because I measured with a multimeter as also the BMS has Bluetooth and shows me each cell voltage and total).

What I found is when the battery of 52V is about half empty, I get a lot of system suddenly and I also feel power cut until suddenly the system turns off.

Yes, I am doing a lot of development and testing with my TSDZ2 and I wounder if the issue could be the internal capacitor damaged / not working anymore - recently other users wrote about this possibility because of quick currents when connecting the battery terminals - which happens to me a lot because for development I do that a lot.

Any ideas? Anyone had the same issue?

casainho said:
I have a strange issue with my TSDZ2 measuring battery voltage with about less 10V and also the value oscillates like +-1 volts.

I tested the same battery on another TSDZ2 and vice-versa and yes, the issue is not the battery (even because I measured with a multimeter as also the BMS has Bluetooth and shows me each cell voltage and total).

What I found is when the battery of 52V is about half empty, I get a lot of system suddenly and I also feel power cut until suddenly the system turns off.

Yes, I am doing a lot of development and testing with my TSDZ2 and I wounder if the issue could be the internal capacitor damaged / not working anymore - recently other users wrote about this possibility because of quick currents when connecting the battery terminals - which happens to me a lot because for development I do that a lot.

Any ideas? Anyone had the same issue?

Hello Casainho,
I had a situation where the engine suddenly turned off and never started again. I had to replace the controller. Now whenever I connect the battery to the engine, I previously disconnect the battery internally via the smartphone and put it in the lock state.
In my case, when the engine shut down, the battery was almost completely discharged. The engine never ran again until it replaced the controller.
As I have a faulty controller I am thinking of opening it to see if it works with the replacement of the capacitors.
Do you think it is possible to replace the capacitors and test the controller again?

AZUR said:
Do you think it is possible to replace the capacitors and test the controller again?
That controller is hard to repair and since the cost of a new one is cheap, I think is best to replace for a new one.

I also have that same BMS, I will in future use the soft lock / enable/disable on the BMS.

Back