TSDZ2 OSF for all displays, VLCD5-VLCD6-XH18, LCD3, 860C-850C-SW102.

Hi @mbrusa ; do you see a chance to bring some remaining missing features into your std display (*c2) firmware - esp the mspider motor control stuff and the TMP36 option you have implemented in the *c4 OSF Versions?
Not now in the summer, but maybe later this year?
Other than that: Thanks for this project! I use it (and the mspider one) on all our bikes in the family.
Great stuff - very reliable. Thanks!

Hi @mbrusa ; do you see a chance to bring some remaining missing features into your std display (*c2) firmware - esp the mspider motor control stuff and the TMP36 option you have implemented in the *c4 OSF Versions?
Not now in the summer, but maybe later this year?
Other than that: Thanks for this project! I use it (and the mspider one) on all our bikes in the family.
Great stuff - very reliable. Thanks!
Hi @endlessolli, programming is a winter hobby for me, now I'm on break.
I will definitely resume next winter.
The first job, however, will still be for the 860C version.
I've already made some tests and there is still room for improvement.
- FOC angle calculation is not optimal, it can be improved.
- field weakening does not work well, when activated (PWM 100%), the motor power is not constant, it fluctuates. It increases and decreases continuously.
- the waveform of the motor current is perfectly sinusoidal when the value is high (15A), with a few amperes it is very distorted.
Only after I've delved into this, will I take up the stock displays version again.

Hi @endlessolli, programming is a winter hobby for me, now I'm on break.
I will definitely resume next winter.
The first job, however, will still be for the 860C version.
I've already made some tests and there is still room for improvement.
- FOC angle calculation is not optimal, it can be improved.
- field weakening does not work well, when activated (PWM 100%), the motor power is not constant, it fluctuates. It increases and decreases continuously.
- the waveform of the motor current is perfectly sinusoidal when the value is high (15A), with a few amperes it is very distorted.
Only after I've delved into this, will I take up the stock displays version again.
Great that you continue the development! I hope for „trickle down effects“ for the std display users like me 👍

I just successfully flashed my tsdz2b with vlcd6 display. I'm trying to understand the buttons but cant. Especially I'm trying to enable the "assist with error". I take that as I should be in max assist mode "4 bars" and then hold minus(-) for 2 seconds, 6 times in a row? What happens is that display light turns on, and speed goes from 0 to 99. Then lights off, back to 0. Then this happens 2 times again as I press. Nothing else happens. Feels like I'm missing something fundamental here.

... for 2 seconds, 6 times in a row? What happens is that display light turns on, and speed goes from 0 to 99. ....
The options can be changed with the "light on/off" button.
But for Vlcd6 you need to push "down" button for 2 seconds, which isn't the easiest way, because that 2 seconds delay is required each push on the "down" button.
There is a chance that time is too short to change something as you want.
Try Advanced settings: "Time to menu items (0.1 s)" to 70 instead of 50, to get some more time.

99= Battery 99% charged, you see this with startup.

You need to enable in Basic settings: "set parameters on start up"
Otherwise you can't change anything and you must enable this setting from display.

Last edited:
So I managed to strip the nylon gear of my new TSDZ2B unit. And since there are no metal options anymore, i would love to reduce the phase amps to the motor, but not the battery amps since I have the cooling kit installed and temp sensor.

I have searched the forum and online, but can not find the information I am looking for.

I am having some trouble updating an 850c display to work with open source. Are there certain versions of the 850c that can not be reprogrammed? If so, are there vendors where the older versions are still available?

I have programmed quite a few 850c displays without any troubles in the past. I am using the boot loader box and the display does not power up after installing the Open Source version 850c_2021_v20.1C.2-Bootloader.Bin. I have used the same version and it worked on another 850c display, just last week.

I have also programmed the controller on my tongsheng unit successfully and it works with the other display I reprogrammed last week, but not the new 850c I just tried it on.

Thanks for any help!

I'm not sure if this is the reason for the issue you're having, but if you look around the TSDZ2 threads like the one you're in
or this other one here
you'll find there are multiple versions of the 850c with different possibilities for each.
The links go to the archive because it's easy to search a thread for a specific term (which you can't do in the new version of ES), but the same info is in the current thread(s). Those are just two of the various posts that show this info.

It's hard to make assumptions.
Does the display work with the stock firmware version?
Sorry! The display (enerprof) work with the stock-firmware (pswpower). After flashing the osf-version it doesn't work and shows the error 30 after a couple of seconds. After flashing back the stock-firmware it works again.

Sorry! The display (enerprof) work with the stock-firmware (pswpower). After flashing the osf-version it doesn't work and shows the error 30 after a couple of seconds. After flashing back the stock-firmware it works again.
Well, probably wait until you receive before transmitting.
Try replacing ebike_app.c with this attachment (version v20.1C.2-2-VLCD5-VLCD6-XH18).
Let me know if it works.

Attachments

• ebike_app-DZ40-test.zip
    23.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Hello, which mbrusa release I should use for 36V motor with coaster brake and sw102 lcd? Currently, I have Casainho version but there is some problem with the coaster brake and I have to push really hard to stop my bike. I changed and tested all paramiters. The problem still exists.

update: I checked TSDZ2-v20.1C.4-860C-update-3 and TSDZ2-v20.1C.4-860C-update-1. Motor works better but they are both quite unstable. sw102 crashes from time to time (menu/parameters).

Thanks.

Last edited:
So I managed to strip the nylon gear of my new TSDZ2B unit.
Update: so someone did replace (on TSDZ2B) with old brass reduction gear but it ware off with little pieces from the brass gear. I don't know what to do now. Ideally I would love limiting phase current and buying new identical one because i had brass on an different TSDZ2 with brass and it is to suspicious noisy levels , when you want to drive through Berlin and the Bicycle Cops.

Hello, which mbrusa release I should use for 36V motor with coaster brake and sw102 lcd? Currently, I have Casainho version but there is some problem with the coaster brake and I have to push really hard to stop my bike. I changed and tested all paramiters. The problem still exists.

update: I checked TSDZ2-v20.1C.4-860C-update-3 and TSDZ2-v20.1C.4-860C-update-1. Motor works better but they are both quite unstable. sw102 crashes from time to time (menu/parameters).

Thanks.
The display blocking in the configuration menus is a known problem, reported by other users, it is very pronounced on SW02.
It is then necessary to disconnect the battery.
It also happens on the 860C, but it's less frequent. It also happened in the 860C version of Casainho.
Unfortunately I could not figure out why, because when it happens, the display freezes and debugging is not possible.
With 860C there is a method to avoid this inconvenience,
Only change one menu at a time, then turn the display off and on again before entering another menu.
Try if it also works with SW102.

Well, probably wait until you receive before transmitting.
Try replacing ebike_app.c with this attachment (version v20.1C.2-2-VLCD5-VLCD6-XH18).
Let me know if it works.
Thank you very much! It works! Sorry! I'm a complete idiot. I flashed the wrong file before🤦‍♂️

I have a linux-system (ubuntu)here. The java Configurator only created an *ini-file an didn't flash so i flashed manually - the wrong file.

Now i used (with the modified file) compile_and_flash_20.sh script, got a
"Address 4000 is out of range at line 1
make: *** [Makefile:112: clear_eeprom] Fehler 255"

and did manually successful
"sudo stm8flash -c stlinkv2 -p stm8s105?6 -w TSDZ2-20.1C.2-2-.hex"

Thank you very much!

The display blocking in the configuration menus is a known problem, reported by other users, it is very pronounced on SW02.
It is then necessary to disconnect the battery.
It also happens on the 860C, but it's less frequent. It also happened in the 860C version of Casainho.
Unfortunately I could not figure out why, because when it happens, the display freezes and debugging is not possible.
With 860C there is a method to avoid this inconvenience,
Only change one menu at a time, then turn the display off and on again before entering another menu.
Try if it also works with SW102.
Thanks for the tip! I will try to change settings this way.

I have new problem with my TSDZ2 860C OSF version 0.20.1c-4 and TSDZ2 OSF version 0.21.4. I have 1790 miles and the odometer keeps forgetting the last ride. By that I mean… I ride 10 miles and odometer increases 10 miles, but next time I ride it starts at previous odometer and doesn’t remember the new total. Speedometer, trip distance, and trip time are working OK.

The % battery remaining acts the same way... If I finish a ride at 80% battery remaining, then the next time I ride the battery shows 100%.

Any help appreciated….

Last edited:
Hey guys.
Great project btw. Anyone has experience with a 36V motor 36V Batt and uphill cycling?

Do you guys have enough power to do that with less effort?
When i go in hybrid mode with no pitch motor is very powerful, but when a little pitch is there it feels that the motor dont do anything.
Torque sensor is calibrated.

Thx

With the 850 display the solution is reprogram the display. Very rare. Never happens with KT-LCD3!
I went through all the settings with user manual in-hand. Also reset Odometer to correct value. I did a 18-mile ride and looks like it's behaving. I really like the TSDZ2b with the OSF. Thank you to the team that does the code. A tip of the hat.....

Last edited:
I have a weird issue with my 48v tsdz2 after attempting to get the SW102 to work with emmebrusa OSF.
I flashed the casainho 0.19.17 to have a bootloader on the SW102v2 on which to do anszom fw OTA updates on.
I connected the SW102 6 pin julet to the 8 pin tsdz2 according to pinout on the wiki, but it didn't recognise UART from the controller when running 0.19.17, which is probably expected. Then I tried to put it in bootloader mode to flash anszom, however the NRF connect app did not find the DFU device. After trying a while, I gave up and reconnected the VLCD5 to have my bike working.

The issue is, now assist doesn't work yet walk assist works fine. Initially it only helped with max effort. That lead me to believe the torque sensor needed calibration, so I did and found values min 140 to max 330, which seems reasonable. After flashing a known good config with these values, it still didn't work.
I have tried changing many parameters and locking it to either power or torque assist with no luck.
I disassembled the motor looking for loose connections or burnt components, but found none.

I'd be very grateful for any help as my cargo bike is my primary mode of transport.

I have a weird issue with my 48v tsdz2 after attempting to get the SW102 to work with emmebrusa OSF...

If I understand well you have flashed the controller with OSF for stock display (vlcd5)
That version will never work with an SW102 flashed bootloader.
For that you need the 860C controller version.

An torque range of 190 is more as reasonable, it means you have a very sensitive torquesensor.
Are you sure you have enabled calibration and estimated?

Back